Bulkhead the right way to go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogurako

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm buying a large group of 40B that have 1/2" drain holes drilled in the bottom. I'm not going to use the drain feature so I need to block the holes.

I don't want to silicone a piece of glass over that, sketches me out a bit. Someone had mentioned threaded bulkheads with a cap? Is that an option?!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it makes you feel any better I glassed over 16 40bs that were bottom drilled. Not a single one has leaked in nearly 4 years.

You could get bulkheads, but they aren't cheap, and if you are going that route you might as well pipe them up into an overflow system, sump, or whatever. I have most of my tanks on a drip system that overflows out into the yard.

I should only be doing 4-5 so price isn't a super big concern. My biggest thing is it need to be clean looking and leakproof.

If I wasn't in an apartment Id set up a drain system.

A flat piece of glass is as clean as it gets imo. You can silicone it from both sides, so the chance of a leak is about as likely as any other silicone seam leaking on the tank.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

I agree with Jet on this one. Glass over fitting all the way. The fitting can leak or eventually crack and you have to allow space for it underneath the tank. You silicone a piece of glass on the inside of the tank so the pressure is against the glass piece and you should be good to go. Make a square bead of silicone just inside the edge of the patch and push into place. Smear the "ooze so you have a nice full seam on all 4 sides of patch. Wait 24 hours to cure and you should be good to go. ( The longer you wait, the better the cure.) If you are really paranoid, you can put a bead of silicone around the hole and another on the patch then squish together.
Hope this helps (y)

Thanks for the help guys, it's allot more work than I wanted to do but the price is right.

Back
Top Bottom