Burried airstone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am considering putting an airstone in my aquarium. I would like to burry an airstone, is this going to reduce airflow?

Depends on how dense your gravel/sand is and how strong the airpump is! I did it before and it wouldn't work cause I got sand, I've seen it work with gravel though and it looks awesome!

let it soak in water first before hookin pump up to it

Thanks. I have pretty large gravel. This should be good, right?

I buried mine in gravel and it worked fine. Only thing is that it caused the bubbles to become larger the deeper it's buried (smaller bubbles will accumulate and join before leaving the substrate). If you let the airstone just peek the surface, the bubbles will be small (the way I prefer it).

BTW, I have two air pumps. The Hagen Marina pump is much more silent compared to the Tetra Whisper pump that I have.

Thats a lot of help! What would you recommend as for a accessories? Like; airstone, bubble wand, bubble disk, wooden airstone, ornamental bubbler, ect?

That comes down to your personal preference I guess. Get what you like, looks wise

It depends on the asthetics you are wanting. Each has it's own look. The choice is yours.

Personally, I have a flexible wand buried just under the gravel on one end and deeper at the other. I also have a check valve and a needle valve in the line. It lets very small bubbles come up where it is shallow and larger ones from under my rock decoration.

40galreef said:
Thats a lot of help! What would you recommend as for a accessories? Like; airstone, bubble wand, bubble disk, wooden airstone, ornamental bubbler, ect?

I like airstones over the bubble wands. I like the finer smaller bubbles that an airstone produces. The bubble wand I tried created big bubbles and wasn't evenly distributed along the length of the wand.

Also a check valve is recommended if you have the air pump below the height of where the tank is at. I also placed an air flow control valve in my line because I wanted to reduce the amount of bubble getting pumped out. Both add-ons are pretty inexpensive.

If I used a check vale on a set up with a gang valve, would the air adjusted with the check valve go to the other lines, pr just be wasted.
Next, the conrol valve would need to be before the check valve in the line. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Airstone Use

Good morning 40...

Airstones are mainly for show and add little to the tank. You don't need air bubbling. If you like the look, there are air driven water filters on the market that will release bubbles into the water.

If you're after more water surface movement and more aeration, it would be better to keep the airstone out of the tank and simply get a little larger water filter.

B

If I have any part of my airstone sticking out I get fine bubbles but the water gets cloudy...

Could I put the check valve between the air pump and gang valve?

Back
Top Bottom