Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Buyer Beware

There's an alarming trend I've started to notice lately--online stores and lfs are getting closer and closer in price. I used to buy all my equipment online because it was much cheaper. However, I've had to buy a few things recently for my tanks (2 lights and gravel), and I've actually found better prices at petsmart than drsfostersmith.com--and that was before shipping!

Just something to be aware of, it may be worthwhile to give those lfs another look before buying equipment.

~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
shawmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I always check local first---but it seams in my area if you are going to spend $100 or more online is at least 50% cheaper.

Smaller purchases, hey save the shipping and go local.

Good thing to watch for, and I hope petsmart NY follows petsmart PA!

TwoHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I bought a fluvial 304 for $159 from my LFS and I think you can get it for half of that online...Also, I paid $28 for my SW master test set, found it online for $16-17.
I started ordering online for equipment/food/media. I still buy livestock from my LFS, I just like to go in a chat and find out things, also I'll buy livestock that has been in her tanks for over a week...
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com