Buying a big aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My local petsmart has a 120g but I feel like I will eventually want to go bigger in the future, so why not get bigger now.
I’m thinking about going with the 120, but where do y’all buy 180-240s?
I’ve done a little online research, but I want to see what others do. I just want to see what my options are so I don’t regret getting the 120.

I don't think I've seen anything larger than a 150g at the retail stores in west MI. You might be able to order something larger at a local store but I think that's treading on the realm of specialty shops you have to order directly from. Sometimes I go to glasscages.com to dream and experience sticker shock.

As stated above I'm in Ma and the big stores have nothing over 125/150g. I purchased my 220g off Craiglist. I saved allot but moving a large tank is an interesting experience. Lol.
I have a 110g and recently purchased the 220g. I wanted a bigger tank and was looking at a 150g but then found the 220g on Craigslist. I absolutely love it. Only issue I have with it, is having to use a step stool and not being able to reach the bottom with just my arm. Lol. I actually drain it a bit, otherwise my shoulder would be in the water.

My local petsmart has a 120g but I feel like I will eventually want to go bigger in the future, so why not get bigger now.
I’m thinking about going with the 120, but where do y’all buy 180-240s?
I’ve done a little online research, but I want to see what others do. I just want to see what my options are so I don’t regret getting the 120.
Search social media you can normally find a good steal at the fraction of retail sometimes complete set ups . Also try and talk to your local fish stores to see if they have used tanks for sale. Big stores like PetSmart and petco are more than like not gonna sell used tanks unless they are renovating. But a used tank with a little tlc is just as good as a new one. Good luck on your hunt and I’m sure we all hope to see updates along the way

Since I have mostly purchased previously used tanks, big ones for sure (Too poor to buy big fancy tanks new). I always watch for great deals. Even resealing a tank isn't too hard, just more complicated in the process of doing the work and testing and moving it around.

But often people buy huge tanks and they end up needing to sell them and you can often get a REALLY awesome deal on a lightly used tank. Moving huge/heavy tanks can pop the seal of the silicone so always test it before installing even if it was fine and not leaking at the sellers home.

Knowing ahead what the pricing is for brands and sizes will help if you do find a great deal and need to act fast.

Depends what you want to use it for as well. 6ft tanks x 2 ft are pretty common here for cichlids. Easy to find used tanks. Harder to find display quality, nice stands.

More than 2ft deep can be a hassle reaching into tank as mentioned above and much harder to do a planted tank. Good way to increase tank volume though if floor space limited.

Yeah, shifting tanks lol.

Well it looks like petsmart isn’t doing the 120 doe %50 off this year. I’ll keep an eye out for a used one, or wait until next year.

Ahh....ok. That would be a smoking deal. Even the $600 is a good deal. Maybe they'll lower it over the weekend? Black Friday is like a week long now. Then you have the new year coming up and companies trying to get rid of 2018 product.

Often there are special order and online returns at stores and they will really reduce them to move them out. Always possible to get a better deal but that seems a solid price for a tank and stand brand new...does it include a light too?

I bought my 120 long w/stand & lights 2 yrs ago at Petsmart's Black Friday Sale for $300 even. It's been a really good, solid setup. I replaced the subpar lights with LEDS. I would love to have a 180 or 220, but I suppose if I had one of those bigger tanks I'd end up wanting a 300 gal. tank.
I saw a 150 for $400 on Craigslist today in OKC, just an hour and a half away. So tempting.

I bought my 120 long w/stand & lights 2 yrs ago at Petsmart's Black Friday Sale for $300 even. It's been a really good, solid setup. I replaced the subpar lights with LEDS. I would love to have a 180 or 220, but I suppose if I had one of those bigger tanks I'd end up wanting a 300 gal. tank.
I saw a 150 for $400 on Craigslist today in OKC, just an hour and a half away. So tempting.
I like the 240g long.....96x24x24. As soon as the wife gets her new flooring the tank gets purchased [emoji16]

You have a very understanding wife. Mine is not quite there yet. Lol.

We have a section of wall in the living room that turns in 2 feet and runs 10 feet long then turns back out......if that makes sense... So the tank should sit inside it nicely and look somewhat flush with the wall. That's the only reason she's going for it. For her, its space she can't use anyways. Lol. Plus I told her how glorious it would be. [emoji16]

We have a section of wall in the living room that turns in 2 feet and runs 10 feet long then turns back out......if that makes sense... So the tank should sit inside it nicely and look somewhat flush with the wall. That's the only reason she's going for it. For her, its space she can't use anyways. Lol. Plus I told her how glorious it would be. [emoji16]

That is a great sounding tank, I would want one too. I have a room, end wall which is around 12' and would really like seeing a tank like that there!

:popcorn: will be exciting to follow along on all these big new tank threads!!!

That is a great sounding tank, I would want one too. I have a room, end wall which is around 12' and would really like seeing a tank like that there!

:popcorn: will be exciting to follow along on all these big new tank threads!!!
Oh dang......that space makes me think 500g tank. Lol.

The wife's floor is going to cost me $6000 so it might be a bit before I get this tank. But, that is the deal for the tank. [emoji51]

Oh dang......that space makes me think 500g tank. Lol.

The wife's floor is going to cost me $6000 so it might be a bit before I get this tank. But, that is the deal for the tank. [emoji51]

If you’re paying 6,000 for flooring for her, then surely you can spend a bit on a tank.

Fortunately my wife doesn’t really care. I’m sure she doesn’t want every bit of wall covered with tanks, but other than that. It’s fair game.

I have no tanks on the main floor besides a Betta tank in my son's room. My other two tanks are in the basement. So me wanting to put an 8 foot tank in the living room took some compromise.

I bought a 220g a few months ago and you are correct, I look at it and think " an 8ft, 300g would be perfect" I just purchased a few Juvenile Mylochromis and Dimidiochromis with the intentions of eventually trading my 110g for a 300g. Because THEN I will be satisfied. Lmao [emoji1787]

Back
Top Bottom