Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Buying a big aquarium.

My local petsmart has a 120g but I feel like I will eventually want to go bigger in the future, so why not get bigger now.
Iím thinking about going with the 120, but where do yíall buy 180-240s?
Iíve done a little online research, but I want to see what others do. I just want to see what my options are so I donít regret getting the 120.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't think I've seen anything larger than a 150g at the retail stores in west MI. You might be able to order something larger at a local store but I think that's treading on the realm of specialty shops you have to order directly from. Sometimes I go to glasscages.com to dream and experience sticker shock.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

As stated above I'm in Ma and the big stores have nothing over 125/150g. I purchased my 220g off Craiglist. I saved allot but moving a large tank is an interesting experience. Lol.
I have a 110g and recently purchased the 220g. I wanted a bigger tank and was looking at a 150g but then found the 220g on Craigslist. I absolutely love it. Only issue I have with it, is having to use a step stool and not being able to reach the bottom with just my arm. Lol. I actually drain it a bit, otherwise my shoulder would be in the water.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiken5968 View Post
My local petsmart has a 120g but I feel like I will eventually want to go bigger in the future, so why not get bigger now.
Iím thinking about going with the 120, but where do yíall buy 180-240s?
Iíve done a little online research, but I want to see what others do. I just want to see what my options are so I donít regret getting the 120.
Search social media you can normally find a good steal at the fraction of retail sometimes complete set ups . Also try and talk to your local fish stores to see if they have used tanks for sale. Big stores like PetSmart and petco are more than like not gonna sell used tanks unless they are renovating. But a used tank with a little tlc is just as good as a new one. Good luck on your hunt and Iím sure we all hope to see updates along the way
Old 11-06-2018, 12:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Since I have mostly purchased previously used tanks, big ones for sure (Too poor to buy big fancy tanks new). I always watch for great deals. Even resealing a tank isn't too hard, just more complicated in the process of doing the work and testing and moving it around.

But often people buy huge tanks and they end up needing to sell them and you can often get a REALLY awesome deal on a lightly used tank. Moving huge/heavy tanks can pop the seal of the silicone so always test it before installing even if it was fine and not leaking at the sellers home.

Knowing ahead what the pricing is for brands and sizes will help if you do find a great deal and need to act fast.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:31 AM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Depends what you want to use it for as well. 6ft tanks x 2 ft are pretty common here for cichlids. Easy to find used tanks. Harder to find display quality, nice stands.

More than 2ft deep can be a hassle reaching into tank as mentioned above and much harder to do a planted tank. Good way to increase tank volume though if floor space limited.

Yeah, shifting tanks lol.

Tags
aquarium, big

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com