Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Buying a used Acrylic tank

Morning everyone or Night.

Im going to be looking at a 125 gallon Acrylic aquarium. It is a project buy. Meaning the stand has to be built, and filters will be needed. And the worst part is... They started there project and sanded the back of it. And said all I need to do is polish it. But I have heard Acrylic is not like a glass tank. What should I look for? If they used the wrong grit sandpaper. How deep of scratches can I buff out? Will a sanded surface cover any Braizing of the acrylic? Shat should I do to ensure I am not taking someone elses problems?

Please help me. And if they burnt it with a buffer. Can I fix that? and what does a burn look like?

Thank you for all or any help.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pictures they sent me. I plan on seeing it today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3E33L53Hc5Le5Na5Efd1ge579fdb2a97b1721-1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	146699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0552.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	146700  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0553-1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	146701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0554-1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	146702  

Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was told its 30" tall. What thickness of acrylic should that be?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I saw an acrylic product to buff out scratches and there where 3 tiers, for different depth scratch marks

Ill try to check my history one minute
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Novus 1, 2, 3 Kit Plastic Polish and Scratch Remover : Amazon.com : Automotive

This is the stuff, actually much cheaper on amazon, I saw it on a website for custom acrylic tanks and they had it for their clients but at quite a markup and sold individually

Edit: I know it looks like a car thing from the first reviews but here's one that is relevant:
" Removed tons of scratches from acrylic fish tank
May 21, 2010 By M. Moore
This worked great on a number of things most notably a large acrylic fish tank. You do need to use pressure since you are essentially sanding out the scratches but the Novus 1,2,3 kit worked. It also restored the covers on my car headlamps that were looking dingy and yellowed. I highly recommend this product for removing scratches from acrylics."
Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lifegard Aquatics Acrylic Scratch Removal Kit 72000

this has very good reviews also..

get the tank, acrylic is just sweet, hard to pass up and projects are fun esp while it's winter

my recent similar 55 gallon CL pick up:

super cheap! work in progress certainly
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

What shoild I look for on tge tank? It dont have the same silicon that a glass tank does. I want to make sure I dont get a lemmon. Thanks for the tip on pollish. Thak you so much. I would have just gone to walmart if you did not tell me about that stuff.

But like I was saying ... a glass tank you can look for gaps and cracks in the silicon seams. And/or you can tell when a tank is real old or if it was left in the sun, by cracks in the silicon or a rolling back effect. But I have no idea on what to look for in a acrylic tank.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I look for abuse and neglect, if the algae is a few months deep run run away. But generally I make up my mind after a few moments at the persons house and it is half about the condition being nice ad the seller being cool.

If I don't jive well with either its just a gut feeling and say no thanks! Leak test it outside and wait a full day to be sure it is sound. I think you should be able to gauge how scratched or damaged the seals look(the floor is usually ugly) and if the person took care of their stuff it will show.

Don't put anything smelly in your car! If they hue you wet equipment they should hopefully provide strong bags if not Tupperware, or at least I have been lucky to get clean and organized stuff so far
Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay don't take this the wrong way-- I'm being a bit silly but ask a few questions to get a profile of the seller. So basically in my area, most tanks are sold by younger dudes perhaps students and their equipment, although brand name, is beat up and crusty. The other main seller I meet are the parents of multiple kids under 10.... This is the best seller because they clean the tank before storing it in The garage and they have a dream set up but haven't touched it in 3 years. Back to school clothes and what have you- time to sell and just make an offer but take it all.

The golden listing, once in a blue moon, is the oceanographer who is selling one of the tanks in his office. He charges a bridge toll for the whole tank. Man I missed that ad once, ill never forget

Tags
acrylic, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com