Buying a used Acrylic tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Morning everyone or Night.

Im going to be looking at a 125 gallon Acrylic aquarium. It is a project buy. Meaning the stand has to be built, and filters will be needed. And the worst part is... They started there project and sanded the back of it. And said all I need to do is polish it. But I have heard Acrylic is not like a glass tank. What should I look for? If they used the wrong grit sandpaper. How deep of scratches can I buff out? Will a sanded surface cover any Braizing of the acrylic? Shat should I do to ensure I am not taking someone elses problems?

Please help me. And if they burnt it with a buffer. Can I fix that? and what does a burn look like?

Thank you for all or any help.

Pictures they sent me. I plan on seeing it today.

Attachments

• 3E33L53Hc5Le5Na5Efd1ge579fdb2a97b1721-1.jpg
    3E33L53Hc5Le5Na5Efd1ge579fdb2a97b1721-1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMAG0552.jpg
    IMAG0552.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG0553-1.jpg
    IMAG0553-1.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0554-1.jpg
    IMAG0554-1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 189
I saw an acrylic product to buff out scratches and there where 3 tiers, for different depth scratch marks

Ill try to check my history one minute

Novus 1, 2, 3 Kit Plastic Polish and Scratch Remover : Amazon.com : Automotive

This is the stuff, actually much cheaper on amazon, I saw it on a website for custom acrylic tanks and they had it for their clients but at quite a markup and sold individually

Edit: I know it looks like a car thing from the first reviews but here's one that is relevant:
" Removed tons of scratches from acrylic fish tank
May 21, 2010 By M. Moore
This worked great on a number of things most notably a large acrylic fish tank. You do need to use pressure since you are essentially sanding out the scratches but the Novus 1,2,3 kit worked. It also restored the covers on my car headlamps that were looking dingy and yellowed. I highly recommend this product for removing scratches from acrylics."

Lifegard Aquatics Acrylic Scratch Removal Kit 72000

this has very good reviews also..

get the tank, acrylic is just sweet, hard to pass up and projects are fun esp while it's winter

my recent similar 55 gallon CL pick up:
img_2301428_0_fcbbb6f395d60277d11fb57088f304b4.jpg

img_2301428_1_295912bc4a369e78f12dfa17e8039fbe.jpg

super cheap! work in progress certainly

What shoild I look for on tge tank? It dont have the same silicon that a glass tank does. I want to make sure I dont get a lemmon. Thanks for the tip on pollish. Thak you so much. I would have just gone to walmart if you did not tell me about that stuff.

But like I was saying ... a glass tank you can look for gaps and cracks in the silicon seams. And/or you can tell when a tank is real old or if it was left in the sun, by cracks in the silicon or a rolling back effect. But I have no idea on what to look for in a acrylic tank.

I look for abuse and neglect, if the algae is a few months deep run run away. But generally I make up my mind after a few moments at the persons house and it is half about the condition being nice ad the seller being cool.

If I don't jive well with either its just a gut feeling and say no thanks! Leak test it outside and wait a full day to be sure it is sound. I think you should be able to gauge how scratched or damaged the seals look(the floor is usually ugly) and if the person took care of their stuff it will show.

Don't put anything smelly in your car! If they hue you wet equipment they should hopefully provide strong bags if not Tupperware, or at least I have been lucky to get clean and organized stuff so far

Okay don't take this the wrong way-- I'm being a bit silly but ask a few questions to get a profile of the seller. So basically in my area, most tanks are sold by younger dudes perhaps students and their equipment, although brand name, is beat up and crusty. The other main seller I meet are the parents of multiple kids under 10.... This is the best seller because they clean the tank before storing it in The garage and they have a dream set up but haven't touched it in 3 years. Back to school clothes and what have you- time to sell and just make an offer but take it all.

The golden listing, once in a blue moon, is the oceanographer who is selling one of the tanks in his office. He charges a bridge toll for the whole tank. Man I missed that ad once, ill never forget ;)

Why bother buffing it out

Just buy a 3d background

Or the cheaper option get a black or blue acrylic sheet and put it on the inside of the tank

Why bother buffing it out

Just buy a 3d background

Or the cheaper option get a black or blue acrylic sheet and put it on the inside of the tank

This lawmen dont understand what you mean by putting the blue background on the inside. U r talking about that paper stuff ppl buy for the background image? One side of it is black and the other side is blue? Or one side is one picture and the other side is a different picture? Sorry for asking dumb questions. New to the love of fish and aquariums. How can I put that blue stuff inside the water? :) :D

You got it, i found some that is black one side and dark to mid-blue on the other. It is like a static cling type of sheet of "presentation cover" plastic or the non-glue sports decals that cling to glass

You got it, i found some that is black one side and dark to mid-blue on the other. It is like a static cling type of sheet of "presentation cover" plastic or the non-glue sports decals that cling to glass

And you say just stick that inside the tank? How would you secure it so it does not float away or fish and algae get behind it?

And you say just stick that inside the tank? How would you secure it so it does not float away or fish and algae get behind it?

I personally am waiting to affix the plastic whenever I take the whole tank down one day, they also sell a product to keep it glued on and keep bubbles from appearing. I have OCD enough that I wouldn't ever be happy looking at a bubble behind the film. I won't let anybody tint my car windows for the same reason!

Might be a dumb question, but if you're going the background route, why not stick it on the outside?
Me personally, if the only option is you have to see through it, I wouldn't get it. If you're gonna cover the back and don't care, tell the guy how much work you have to put in to make it see through again and get it dirt cheap.

This lawmen dont understand what you mean by putting the blue background on the inside. U r talking about that paper stuff ppl buy for the background image? One side of it is black and the other side is blue? Or one side is one picture and the other side is a different picture? Sorry for asking dumb questions. New to the love of fish and aquariums. How can I put that blue stuff inside the water? :) :D

I think I put it as simple as possible by saying buy a sheet of black of blue acrylic I didn't say some paper background I said acrylic

The thread starter must know what acrylic is as he's buying a acrylic tank not one made of paper lol

Might be a dumb question, but if you're going the background route, why not stick it on the outside?
Me personally, if the only option is you have to see through it, I wouldn't get it. If you're gonna cover the back and don't care, tell the guy how much work you have to put in to make it see through again and get it dirt cheap.

If the scratches are on the back glass and you stick something on the outside you will shill see the scratches

You can buy thin coloured acrylic sheet from a DIY hobby or craft shop

Cut it nice and tight and you won't need any silicon as it doesn't tracked well to sticking on acrylic

You don't find everything for fish keeping in a local fish shop you know lol

I think I put it as simple as possible by saying buy a sheet of black of blue acrylic I didn't say some paper background I said acrylic

The thread starter must know what acrylic is as he's buying a acrylic tank not one made of paper lol

My mistake. I took the word sheet as that 2 sided paper the sell at local pet stores. Good idea. Then just seal it with silicon?

Thanks guys. I had no ides how thick or thin it came in. But i guess womans nails are made out of it. Dahhh. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom