Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
every day feedings can be stressful. you can feed them chopped fish, shrimp, clam, anything from the salt water section at the supermarket.
Thanks, I will go shopping for that and i will try feeding every 3 days. Is that good?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yes. just make sure to use small pieces...nothing larger than a pea for now. as i said, it's stressful digesting food, and a big chunk might do more harm than good.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is what i do; I thaw out brine shrimp in tank water first. Than I put a bit of brine shrimp in a long straw. And hold it about an inch over the anemone. It slowly goes out and anemone grabs it.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just checked my light again.

Here Is what I am running;

Lights turn on at 9:30 am
1 x colormax
1x 460nm attenic

Goes on at 11am
1 x 10k
1x 460 attenic

At 6 pm -10k and 1 attenic turn off.
At 8 the other colormax and attentic turn off too.

Plz advice if this is good. Also let me know how your day cycle goes if ur running a reef.
Also how good is colormax, what is it good for.

Also got another colourmax and 10 extra with the light.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

it's not being touched by the large piece of food that would stress it out, it's the digestion process. digesting a large amount of food all at once takes a lot of energy.
are you referring to the coralife colormax lamp that is 6500k? are all the bulbs coralife lamps? check into ATI lamps. they will allow you to squeeze every bit out of that fixture you are using.
if that image you use as your avatar is your current tank, you can see it appears a bit yellow. this is from that colormax lamp. it's not going to hurt anything, but i think you'll be alot happier with some high end lamps.
if you don't mind spending the money, try ATI blue plus and aquablue specials. if you can't find ATI lamps locally, giesemann bulbs are also high quality.
as for the on off question- corals don't benefit from a morning evening transition. turning them on all at once and off all at once will achieve the same goal. the morning evening transition is just for humans to enjoy.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Mr_X.
Yes I was referring to Coralife 6500k colormax. No all are not Coralife.
Yes I will for the bulbs u suggested.

But I want to know. Is current setup enough for anemone and corals or should I run 2- 10k and 2 atenics?

How many hours daily will be good for them?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

the actinic lamps are unnecessary and just for aesthetic purposes. the reason i say this is that all of the lamps we use for the aquarium trade these days are full spectrum, meaning each bulb puts out all of the different wavelengths needed for photosynthetic creatures to thrive.
I would like to know the PAR numbers on what you have though. PAR is a measurement of the radiation a photosynthetic creature can utilize. it will tell you exactly how much of that light coming out of that fixture is useful to corals and anemones.
most people don't have access to a PAR meter, so i would then tell them to purchase some high end lamps to be sure.
did you buy this fixture used? how old are the bulbs? age plays a part in intensity and color too.
as for the photo period, i try to mimic the natural day out at the reefs. i like 12 hours on and 12 off, unless you have a super intense light source.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for great info.
I am not sure what par value they have. I will try searching for it for it and get back to u.

Yes used. I am told it's used for 3 months. Than she shut down the whole thing.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, not to discredit anyone, but i don't remember the last time i saw a fixture for sale that was used longer than 3 months...lol. run it for a while, and if it doesn't do what you need it to, change out the bulbs. this fixture has an individual reflectors, correct?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL, the light I bought today was used for 1 month! But the same guy sold me my 72" fixture and was straight about it being a year old.

Just look at what youre buying, if it looks hinky in any way just pass.

Tags
light, lights, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com