Buying reef lights!! Help decide.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heera

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 30 gallon Fowlr 16" tall.
Turing to reef i guess. Want to keep anemone's and corals later. Can't spend money in it again. So want to pick right light for so i can grow whatever later.

I have narrowed down to 2 choices for lights out of options I have. I can't afford to spend too much. Both fixtures below I can get for $ 165.

Help me choose Plz.

1. Old at craigslist.

Total wattage is 156 (4 x 39 watts). Dimensions: 36"x 7.25" x 2.5". Link: http://www.bigalsonline.ca/productDe...pc_cdn_wishabi Comes with: 1 Current T5 HO 39W 10KK lamp 2 Current T5 HO 39W 460 nm Actinic lamps 1 Coralife T5 HO 39W Colormax lamp These were used for about 6 months Also comes with 2 brand new lamps (thrown in for free): 1 Coralife T5 HO 39W Colormax lamp 1 Coralife T5 HO 39W 6700K Daylight

2. New one at LFS.

Aqua Nova NHT5-900 • Simple setup, with optional use of 90 degree, adjustable feet to suit each unit • Plastic splash proof cover to avoid water from splashing on globes. • Model - NHT5-900 (4 Tube) • Unit Length - 90cm - 3foot • Watt - 4x39W • Light Tube - 2 x WHITE / 2 x BLUE Plz help me decide which is better choice. I am so confused .

The LFS said the aqua nova light has 4 x 56 watts so 216 watts. But online says 156 watts.

carey said:

Thanks Carey,
Sorry didn't see it was a link before..
The one that comes closer is for $126 with 31 for shipping =$157 ( + tax too I guess)
The one I am getting is $165 (includes tax) So same price.

What I wanted to know was that which light is better between the 2.
Also will it be strong enough so I can grow corals and anemone's in 30 gallon tank.

Let me know ur thoughts on it. I need to go buy tomorrow.

Thanks Carey,
The one I linked is 2 years old used from craigslist.
Nova extreme High output t5 lighting fixture

What u feel makes the #1 (linked) better than the

2nd.
Aqua Nova NHT5-900 (new)

Same store bigals.

I couldnt find the aqua nova anywhere, the link didnt work.

I have the current extreme pro so I know I like that one, individual reflectors for the bulbs and is a regular sized bulb. sometimes you see bulbs in units that arent standard.

It looks like an ok light. But I'd still get the nova extreme. Thats just my opinion though, please do what you need to. I couldnt see if they had individual reflectors on the novaeuro or what size bulbs it takes. Some brands like zoomed and odyssea have proprietary sizes for their bulbs. meaning you just can't get standard t5 replacements from any lfs, you have to use their bulbs.

It looks like an ok light. But I'd still get the nova extreme. Thats just my opinion though, please do what you need to. I couldnt see if they had individual reflectors on the novaeuro or what size bulbs it takes. Some brands like zoomed and odyssea have proprietary sizes for their bulbs. meaning you just can't get standard t5 replacements from any lfs, you have to use their bulbs.

@Carey---Wow, I didn't know that, am glad I returned that light fixture and bulbs.

What options for bulb colors are the ones you are looking at? I'm wanting to do the same thing. So I've read different colors do different things. Will the lights you are looking at have the various colors? Do they hold 2 or 4 bulbs?

Thanks Carey for your input.
Decision made..Nova extreme it is than.
you have helped me this far now help with this too.

Nova extreme has 4 bulbs.
2 white and 2 blue.

Which bulbs should I run 10k or 14k. Blue or can I run a purple, what's difference.

Do I just put it on the tank and turn it on for 8 hrs. Or should I start by turning 2 hrs a day 3-4 days..

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

it depends on what color hue you like. 10k will give you a bright white maybe even yellowish hue. I run 12k ATI bulbs (aquablue specials) for the whites and for the blues I have the ATI Blue plus. I happen to like a blue-ish hue to my tank. You could also get a KZ purple plus if you want more of a subdued purple hue. It's all just your preference really. I wouldnt go below a 10k bulb for whites thiugh, they ar more for freshwater.

if you have just fish now you can just start running your fixture as you usually do. If you have any corals I would keep them on for a few hours and slowly build back up to where you were at time wise.

If you end up getting new bulbs then you also will have to light acclimate the corals. :)

Hope that helps

Thanks Carey again... Thanks everyone. Picking up the lights on Sunday.

Any tips on testing them to make sure they work??

I'll keep u posted..

plug them in and turn them on...lol. that is usually a pretty good indicator that you are buying a working fixture.

Back
Top Bottom