Buying tanks- pricing questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whats a good price for a 55 gal tank?

Used on Craigslist, garage sale, etc.- around a dollar per gallon (or hopefully less).

New- generally retail for $99.99-129.99 for tank alone.

Last edited:
severum mama said:
Used on Craigslist, garage sale, etc.- around a dollar per gallon (or hopefully less).

New- generally retail for $99.99-129.99 for tank alone.

Like on Craigslist for a 55 gal with filters, lights, and a heater? Thanks for answering

Yes, sometimes you get lucky and find equipment with the tank. If it is nice equipment (like good canister filter, upgraded lights, stuff like that), nice wooden stand, etc. you can expect to pay more, and IMO that is reasonable.

Last edited:
My 55 on Craigslist was 180 but it came with everything you could think you need. Also came with upgraded lights and over $200 in large rocks.

We've gotten some really great deals on Craigslist and through the local club. We've bought 55 gal tanks from club members for like 50 bucks. We've gotten a 4' 120 gal and a 5' 120 gal both with stands for $150 and $175, respectively. The stands are handmade and much stronger than anything they sell at a pet store. You could park a mid sized sedan on these things. LOL.

severum mama said:
We've gotten some really great deals on Craigslist and through the local club. We've bought 55 gal tanks from club members for like 50 bucks. We've gotten a 4' 120 gal and a 5' 120 gal both with stands for $150 and $175, respectively. The stands are handmade and much stronger than anything they sell at a pet store. You could park a mid sized sedan on these things. LOL.

I would build my own stand. I may be young but I'm handy with a hammer.

That's great- you will save a lot of money that way. I am not so handy, so I tend to look for the deals that include stands. Do some searching around on YouTube and I think you can get some pretty good ideas for making your own.

When I first started I got a 120 gallon fully established salt water aquarium for 500 bucks. On the way home I thought the tank had to much rock so I stopped at the lfs and he gave me 250 bucks for 2 of the larger rocks. I still had like 200 pounds left. Can I get a good deal or what. Lol

Check on your local Freecycle.org, as well. You can get tanks there for free, usually including equipment.

LyndaB said:
Check on your local Freecycle.org, as well. You can get tanks there for free, usually including equipment.

Thanks I'll check it out. If I can find one for free my dad can't deny me another tank. Maybe he will because we're moving soon :/

Back
Top Bottom