Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I sort of see where your heading....and if you look far enough ahead, you'll see a brick wall. To begin with, you said you don't know how much alk/ca your tank consumes per day. A ca reactor is far from plug and play. Being you don't know how much to add to your system, because you don't know what it needs, how do you setup the reactor? There is no "1 setting fits all". It can take weeks or more of fine tuning before you have the reactor setup to match your tanks needs.
Quote:
my brother uses a hagen test kit to check water parameters. I have told him to test weekly for Nitrates phosphates ammonia and nitrites.
What about calcium, alkalinity and magnesium? What are these parameters?
Quote:
I believe that a calcium reactor will improve my Coraline growth and help give more color to the tank.
Not necessarily. Many thing can inhibit coralline. How often do you change the Phosban? Do you run it in a reactor? What does your phosphate test at?
I don't know exactly what you mean by more color. Unless ca is really low and corals are bleaching, calcium has no affect on color.
Quote:
As you can see im trying to overdue my firltration to try to offset the fact that i am not there to do biweekly waterchanges.I also dose the top off water( i prepare month supply ahead of time) with iodine and strontium.
I see nothing overdone. In fact it's probably average or less for that size tank. What brand skimmer?
What are your iodine and sr levels since you are dosing both. If you are dosing and not testing, how do you know your not overdosing?

I suggest before you do any upgrade, get a grasp on what's happening in your tank now. Buy a bunch of test kits and test every week. Learn what your tank needs.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nanoluvr
I dunno....I don't know if a CA reactor will make up for infrequent PWCs

Old 02-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

My father sites in fornt of the tank every night staring at the fish. He notices when fish die and he also knows the signs of diseased fish. He just does not have the time to do a 30 gallon water change every 2 weeks. And I am not trying to completely bypass the human aspect, I am just trying to minimize the need for water changes. As I stated in the previouse post, my brother also test weekly for nitrate nitrite ammonia and phosphate. If there is a dangerouse spike they have everything needed to do a water change. I am trying to find a way to make sure my corals have sufficient nutrition in between monthly water changes.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

My 90gal's parameters are as follows:
Nitrate 0
nitrite 0
phosphate 0
salinitly 1.026
calcium 480

By color i mean the color provided by coraline(purple/Pink). I recently had a diatom break out because of the fact that i have too many fish in my tank hence the upgrade. I beleive this may have caused the coraline to be without light and bleach. I do not have a test for iodide so i cannot tell you the levels. My cousin works at the LPS and offered to adjust the Reactor to the tank. I change my phosban, Chemipure and Carbon every 2 months and i do not run them in a reactor they are place in my sump. My protien skimmer is a Coralife Super Skimmer
Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nano that is the answer i needed to hear... i will have to find a way to make it easier for my dad to do water changes. I somehow need to make it easy to remove water from the tank and at the same time make it easy to add water. I guess i will have to come up with some type of plumbing. do you think 10g-15g water changes once a week will be good enough?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

.....I'd do the 15 gal a week.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd09 View Post
Nano that is the answer i needed to hear... i will have to find a way to make it easier for my dad to do water changes....
This is the best thing you can do for the tank at this point. With only monthly water changes, even if you HAD a properly tuned in Ca reactor, I'm afraid you'd have a heck of a time with your water parameters with such infrequent changes. Corals need more than just calcium to grow... they need good water.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

well put, Kurt
Old 02-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree a ca reator is not the answer. When I had my 72 set up I was changing 32g every two weeks my point is with a heavily stocked tank you really need to be doing at least bi-weekly PWCs. 32g trash can from walmart makes mixing and changing water easier
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you guys have any ideas on how i can make doing water changes easier? I beleive if i make it a simple process i can get my father to do it...

Tags
calcium, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com