Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Calcium Reactor

I have been running a calcium reactor for several days now and i see no rise in my calcium levels. Its at 300 (roughly). Co2 @ 10 Bubbles per min and effluent @ 60 per Min. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I've never run one myself, but IIRC, doesn't Ph affect it's efficiency? What are your current PH levels and what does the documentation for you unit say for how long before you can expect to see results?

Old 03-18-2005, 04:20 PM   #3

I have been monitoring my PH, DKH and Ca once an hour. The first test at 10:45 am: 18 BPM - 60 DPM (effluent). Effluent PH = 6.3, PH = 7.9.
at 12:45 pm: 18 BPM - 120 DPM. Effluent PH = 6.4, PH = 8.1
The Effluent PH should be between 6.5 and 6.7, so it looks like i am going in the right direction. However my Ca is maintaining @ 300 and DKH @ 8

The manual says to start at 10 BPM (Co2) and 40 DPM (effluent) but does not say when to expect results.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Well I'm not sure if much of this will help you in adjusting your reactor, but it is very informative with plenty of hard data to back it up. The additional understanding of all the chemistry behind it, may help you to understand whats going on in there and therefore, hopefully, how to adjust it. Just trying to offer "something" since I've never used a reactor before so i have no first hand experience to offer advice.

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

The Chemical and Biochemical Mechanisms of Calcification
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/apr2002/chem.htm

Calcium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2002/chem.htm

What is Alkalinity?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu.../chemistry.htm
Old 03-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No I do not use a reactor and it may be normal for the thing to take hours - days to start working. (Remember, nothing good happens fast in a tank!) However, just as a general guide, if you are adding Ca, then its time to weigh in your mg levels. Make sure they are not depressed (Should be as close to NSW as possible, I like to see mine around 1350 ppm) Once your straight there, then you may consider bumping your alk up to around 9 or 10 dkh (Slowly of course) And try and maintain a ph of 8.2 +/- 1 (8.1, should be good). It is my opinion (and hey, who knows..) that you should get these levels at least corrected if needed (def raise the alk, your borderline depressed at 8 dkh) and then stable. After they are good and stable, re-apply the ca-reactor. But hey, thats just me..mr cautious ; ) Also, I am not sur eif the instructions say to test every hour..like watching water boil if you asked me (And you didn't) but I would give at least a couple hours and retest. (Since you are actually following the directions which is typically any man's 1st problem)

Either way, GL!
Old 03-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #6

I appreciate the comments. As you can tell this Calcium Reactor is new to me as well. I was using Kalkwasser but it was driving my PH up way too high. After investigation I found that a Reactor would be what I need.
Your right PC, I may be following the instructions too closely. Thanks for the links BillyZ. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again

Tags
calcium, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com