Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

calcium reactor for 30 gallon

I have been thinking of adding a calcium reactor to my 30 gallon but have been told that it is not a good idea to put a reactor on a 30 gallon tank. The water volume is too little and without a sump , excess co2 cannot be expelled?????? I also have a 6 gallon fuge over the tank.
Any thoughts on this!!!!!!
Any suggestions on reactors??

Thanks

Old 02-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just plumb it before the skimmer, and all the excess CO2 will be expelled there, or provide some other form of strong areation to the output.

A sump really would be helpful for this matter, not just for total volume, but for space to areate the water and then get the bubbles back out.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a hob skimmer. Would it help if i use the fuge as the return to the main tank
Old 02-23-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is in the fuge? Will it be damaged by a low pH? Is there much areation/turbulance there? The water falls down into the tank, so there should be some decent turbulance there.

If you already have the CO2 canister handy, you can experiment with pumping CO2 in there and seeing how much it affects the pH of the water coming out. I think it could be risky but possible. I'd experiment with it before deciding long-term to do this.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

All thats in the fuge is pods and chaeto and sand. I can drop the output of the reactor right into the pipe returning to the tank ????

Tags
30 gallon, calcium, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com