calling all canister owners!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For mother's day, I got a Penn plax cascade 1000.

The thing runs pretty good, with little to no bypass that I can tell.
I've got a few questions regarding this filter.

My filter burps quite often. I've checked all of my hoses and clamps and can't find any leaks or holes. All of the seals are pretty much brand new. It doesn't bother me as far as the noise goes, just a short rumble followed by a squeak from the spray bar. WHERE could this air be coming from? I feel like this will cause premature wear and tear on the motor, is that the case?

Also, I have replaced my impeller seal about a month ago. I give it a good wipe and re-lube it with vaseline every time I open the filter. My question about this is, is the impeller seal the only seal that needs to be lubricated? If not, what are the other seals, and where might they be located? I only see two seals and a gasket which sits under the motor.

I hope somebody can ease my worries. Thanks in advance,
Christine

Tey cleaning out the hoses, intake tube and spray bar. Mine was doing the same thing, but I had part of a filter sock over the intake tube, took it off and no problems. Or you could email the company and ask them. Can't help with the seals, haven't needed to change them yet. Hope you find out whata causing the burping!

ocean said:
Or you could email the company and ask them.
-.-

The company is the WORST! I tried for weeks to get in touch with them to order new seals and still haven't heard back. Thank goodness I found them elsewhere. Thanks, ill try the above!

could you have an air stone close to the intake and thats how your getting air inline?powerhead maybe? just shooting some ideas ...

Sounds like there may be a little air trapped in the very top of the filter. You could try unplugging the filter, let it set for a few minutes then plug back in. Don't know anything about Cascade filters, but my Rena canisters will do this once in a while. Just a thought :)

abstract373 said:
could you have an air stone close to the intake and thats how your getting air inline?powerhead maybe? just shooting some ideas ...

Nope, no airstone or power head. :Shrugs:

foster53 said:
Sounds like there may be a little air trapped in the very top of the filter. You could try unplugging the filter, let it set for a few minutes then plug back in. Don't know anything about Cascade filters, but my Rena canisters will do this once in a while. Just a thought :)
Thanks, but I'm really confused as to where the air is even coming from! It does it way worse when I crank it up. Usually I can tap it a little and it gets most of the air out. It will run silently for a little while but to no avail, an hour later there it goes again! I can live with it, its not too loud, However I worry that it'll cause the motor to break or something. Do you think it can cause that?

Air could be trapped when you clean the filter then hook it back up to the intake/outflow hoses. Next time you clean it, try filling the canister completely up , then put the motor assembly back on. Hook back up to hoses, open valve, let set for a couple minutes and see if that cures it. If not then it is pulling air from somewhere. That can be a corker to find:facepalm: I don't think it will hurt the filter as the impeller sump is not completely dry.

foster53 said:
Air could be trapped when you clean the filter then hook it back up to the intake/outflow hoses. Next time you clean it, try filling the canister completely up , then put the motor assembly back on. Hook back up to hoses, open valve, let set for a couple minutes and see if that cures it. If not then it is pulling air from somewhere. That can be a corker to find:facepalm: I don't think it will hurt the filter as the impeller sump is not completely dry.

Ok lol I'm almost positive its not that as it does it all the time, not just when I clean it. I'm thinking ill submerse the hoses to see if I maybe missed a leak. Dang haha I really didn't want to take the hoses and clamps apart but I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

It only takes one tiny air leak to cause problems. I looked for one in one of my sump return hoses for hours. What a pain:facepalm: Good luck, hope you find the leak quickly.

Dear Christine2012,

I have two Cascade 1000's and never quite had this problem--they work well for me. But I did have trouble with the spray bar when first setting one up--I can't remember if it was a sound and too forceful spray bar or just the spray bar. At any rate I just used the other option and both Cascades have been fine. Try taking off the spray bar and see if the sound goes away.

Best wishes,
Chris

Thank you. I may or may not have identified the problem. The intake tube, you know how it slides in and out? I think there may be an accumulation of bubbles getting trapped between the two layers and being knocked loose. I will tear it down to see if thats it. I really hope so! Do you think that frequent air would be bad for the motor?

Back
Top Bottom