calling light experts!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

which light?

• metal halides if only two will work on 6ft 125 with nothin else

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other you post link on my thread nothing over $360

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok guys someone has promised me this light for christmas
Coralife Lunar Aqualight Plus Compact Fluorescent Fixture 6X96 Watt 72 inch, 53410, Aquarium Light for my 125 gal 6 ft tank i have pc on my 55 with only 4 65 wat bulbs and are doing okay for my leathers zoas mushrooms galaxy frogspawn and hammer and the 125 is only a inch deaper but i found this metal halides will two of these work on a 6 ft tank?

250W Metal Halide Pendant Lights

i dont plan on getting any more high light required corals for about 4 to 5 years after i build my new home and build my final tank so if pc will work for wat i have andd below then
i can use them....only corals i will buy for now are corals with same or less light requirments as wat i have now

See if you can wait a little for coralife to release a 6 ft T5. Maby move it to an Easter present? Either that or ask for 2 36" lights. Coralife has been moving toward T5.

Not sure, but my LFS just recently got their T5 fixtures so most likely a few months. They may try for a christmas release though. I will email them.

I would steer clear of the PC unless you want to be limited on what you can keep. You could get by with 2-halides if you get nice reflectors and can hang them high enough over your tank and do a 2-island aquascaping design. But the reflectors would probably put you out of your price range. You could also go with 60" T5HO which is good for all coral, but that leaves 6" of subpar coverage on both sides of the tank.
I just read above that you will not be getting high light coral... so I change my vote to the PC out of your links above. They don't put out much heat and you will get full coverage.
I thought at first I wanted Fish Only, then I thought I would be ok with lower light corals only, now all I care to have is high light sps. I would have saved money in the long run if I got the halides or T5HOs in the begnining.

yea i am more of a wavy tentical coral person lol :) but it does look nice which costs more lps or sps

That depends, there are some pretty pricey lps, when you get into certain lps like Acans, Scolys and Chalice, but those don't have wavy tenticals. Typically the wavy tentical corals are on the cheaper side. I started off liking them to best too and whenever people who are not fish tank people see my tank, they always tend to like the wavy lps or wavy toadstool. But, now I'm to a point where, it wouldn't suprise me if someday I took out my wavy lps and toadstool. Sometimes my sps frags fall into the torch, killing the sps. Also the toadstool can release toxins in the water which inhibit sps growth.
With that said, there are some pretty cool lps tanks out there and they are much easier to keep.

cool yea i have three toadstools in my 55 with my frogspawm hammer galaxy which is a lps i think right? zoas xenia kenya tree mushrooms i dont have any probs out of any of it except i tried a torch once and both torch and biggest toadstool got sick at same time but i love the lps and am happy with them right now on my to get coral list is duncans gsp diffrent xenia more zoas snd mushrooms and a bigger frogspawn soall lps and easy corals....

Over my price limit of $350. However, it is a nice system. Should give more than enough coverage, although coralifes will be cheaper. That fixture should be fine for most if not all corals. Just no clams.

so you do think the t5 ho system i posted is good for my 6ft tank for corals right because if so i willbe buying it next week unless funds drop then its the power compacts again...

hey guys look at the wats on this compared to the wats on the pc does watts per gallon not matter anymore?

Watts per gallon rule of thumb is a bad judgement of light. The PAR level the light puts out is much more important. The ultimate light is Metal Halides or T5 with individual reflectors. But if you only want LPS, then I think either system you chose will work.
I doubt this system you linked http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/242488/product.web has individual reflectors but probably is still better PAR than the power compacts.

Back
Top Bottom