Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2005, 01:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thanew
cameras

ok.. it seems I have lost my camera (was a kodak easy share cx something)

so now I am in the hunt for a good camera, hopefully <$400 (USD) I've seen some of your guys' great photography so I know you have some good cameras.. so give me some ideas and recommendations

tia,
thane

-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I spent 6 months researching cameras to take pictures of moving objects behind glass in water. It had to be fully digital. Allow for manual manipulation of the settings. I wanted high megapixel quality. It had to have an external flash attachment and a way to surpress the flash when I didn't want it (instead of always going by what the camera is preset for). It also had to have a real good optical zoom. Eigital zoom though helpful, does decrease photo quality.

I ended up getting a FujiFilm FinePix S7000. I am pleased with it. It has automatic, partial automatic and manual just about everything. Excellent macro and super macro. Super macro will let you take pictures of things as close as 1/4" from the lens. It has 2, 3, 4, 6, 12 normal, and 12 fine megapixel settings, so you can choose the right one for what you're taking pictures of and for.

The focus can be either automatic or manual. It also has a continuous focus mode so you can move along with your subject. Great for taking pictures of wrasses. The lens view is like a SLR lens. What you see through the lens frame is what you get in the picture. Digital lenses need to guess at what you're taking a picture of and what you see through the viewer is not really what you get in the shot. The lens isn't exchangeable like most SLR cameras, however, with the purchase of a lens attachment, you can add different lenses to it like a telephoto lens, polerizer and other filtering lenses. IT really gives you a lot of freedom in photography compared to a lot of other digital cameras and it didn't cost a thousand **** dollars either...lol. I got mine at Costco for $400 when the camera was going for $600 to $700 at the time. This was about a year ago. You can still find it elsewhere for $400. Here's a link to a description and picture of the camera on FujiFilm's website. Also a link to one of my photo albums. All have been taken using the FujiFilm FinePix S7000.

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...OverView616757

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANmzhwyZtm7pY

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thanew
thanks for responding.. I was just looking at the s7000 or the s5100, and really just looking for one to take pictures.. my friend told me I could borrow his to test it out and see if i like it (the s7000) that is..

so I guess next week will be hands on research for me!
-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com