Can a higher wattage heater be harmful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chat_patta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 5o g acrylic tank of freshwater with some plants and tropical fishes, as per standards: a 200 Watt heater should suffice and probably best would be to have 2x100 Watt heaters at each corner.

But my question to my esteemed seniors is:
"Using a 500 Watt Digital heater can be harmful?"

I will place the heater near the intake of my canister filter.

Highly appreciate any advice on this.

Regards;

Last edited:
Unlike filters, It's not recommended to use heaters rates above your tank size. In my experience, a heater that is make for a larger tank will often heat the water too warm.

I would get 2 heaters that equal the wattage you want to achieve. Say you need 200 watts, get 2x100w heaters.

Heaters go on a rule of 5 watts per gallon.

Caleb

When (not if) the heater sticks in the on state, it will cook your fish much quicker than a properly sized heater.

Unlike filters, It's not recommended to use heaters rates above your tank size. In my experience, a heater that is make for a larger tank will often heat the water too warm.

I would get 2 heaters that equal the wattage you want to achieve. Say you need 200 watts, get 2x100w heaters.

Heaters go on a rule of 5 watts per gallon.

Caleb

Not to mention a heater that size could turn that tank into soup over night...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a 400w ehiem heater in my 90g I keep it parallel to the bottom of the tank ,
It's covered with a egg crate cage ti keep the fish away , I also have 2 sensor probs on either end of the tank , that will cut power to heater if it fails to shut off with the thermostat , the power strip with the sensors was if I remember right was about 60 bucks,
from foster and smith . I had several heaters fail and it paid for itself two times over,

Back
Top Bottom