Can a rodent tank be cleaned up and made into a fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
While coming home from Lowes where I got 2 new aquarium lights I found a 20 gallon long tank sitting by a trash bin waiting for the trash man. So what did I do, well the trash man didn't get the tank. I brought it home filled it with water and it is currently sitting on my front porch to see if it leaks.
You can tell it was a rodent home of some sort maybe gerbils, guinea pig. Don't know but was definitely a rodent home. Can this be properly cleaned (if it doesn't leak) and be made in to a proper fish tank?

One thing. Check the silicon bead really closely. Even if it doesn't leak now the silicon maybe drying out and need to be resealed to avoid any future problems.

FishontheRock said:
One thing. Check the silicon bead really closely. Even if it doesn't leak now the silicon maybe drying out and need to be resealed to avoid any future problems.

Thank you didn't think about that. I will go over all of it really well.
I was concerned about the rodent having been in it didn't know if stuff would leech into the silicone or not.
So far its not leaking but has only been holding water for a few hours. I put bleach in the water to sanitize it and it will get rinsed really well several times. Probly get cleaned multiple times lol. I know for a fact after the bleach soaking it will get a vinegar scrub rinsed good and what ever else needs to be done

Nimo said:
Thank you didn't think about that. I will go over all of it really well.
I was concerned about the rodent having been in it didn't know if stuff would leech into the silicone or not.
So far its not leaking but has only been holding water for a few hours. I put bleach in the water to sanitize it and it will get rinsed really well several times. Probly get cleaned multiple times lol. I know for a fact after the bleach soaking it will get a vinegar scrub rinsed good and what ever else needs to be done

I think you've covered most of the cleaning ground there. Was there brown woodchips like stuff stuck to the bottom in the corners? If so it was a hamster. The are the only rodent I've met that does that and I've had rats, mice and gerbils as well.

FishontheRock said:
I think you've covered most of the cleaning ground there. Was there brown woodchips like stuff stuck to the bottom in the corners? If so it was a hamster. The are the only rodent I've met that does that and I've had rats, mice and gerbils as well.

Yes it looked like either cedar or pine chips in it. I used the water house and rinsed it out really good to knock all the pieces loose before I put the bleach water in it.

jetajockey said:
Definitely check the seals closely, I've gotten some old rodent tanks and the mice or whatever was in there will eat the silicone right off the tank.

I might go ahead and strip out the old silicone and just reseal it.
A for now it is still holding water don't see any leaks.

jetajockey said:
Definitely check the seals closely, I've gotten some old rodent tanks and the mice or whatever was in there will eat the silicone right off the tank.

You were right, after several hours the tank started leaking, after closer inspection I found that what ever rodent had been in there chewed allot of the silicone out so it will definitely get the old stripped out and new sealant put in.

Back
Top Bottom