Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Can a top fin filter maintain beneficial bacteria?

Maybe this is a better place to post this question..

I have a 10 gallon betta tank with a top fin filter.. I've asked multiple people at petsmart if you could cycle a top fin filter and how, and all have told me you cant. There's no where to sustain good bacteria. which true it may be or not, why would they make them if you cant cycle them? Seems odd! So I've tried looking for a marineland biowheel but the smallest one I have ran into is for 30? I think or 20 gallon tanks. I don't want to put too much of a current in my tank! My poor bettas will be tossed about all over the place. So how would I go about cycling my 10 gallon? Am i missing something?

T-Rexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Yes you can cycle it. The bacteria will grow on the cartridge. The reason they say you can't cycle it (I'm guessing) is because it's recommend you replace the catridge monthly therefore tossing the bacteria. But we all know NOT to do that. I see no reason what so ever why it would not cycle.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
also a filter rated for a 20-30g tank won't actually toss your betta around.. I run a aqua clear 50 (rated for 30-40g i think ) and a tetra filter for a 10g tank on my 10g fry tank and it doesn't throw them around
rreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also you'll grow bacteria on the walls of the filter. Throw in some Java Fern and that will also keep your water nice. You can tie it to wood or rocks or not.
My 10g Shrimp Jungle My 10g Rimless My 5.5g CRS Tank They are a work in progress
Vid of my Shrimp Jungle
~ Tina
Coursair is online now   Reply With Quote

bacteria, filter, fin, maintain, top fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com