Can a top fin filter maintain beneficial bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Maybe this is a better place to post this question..

I have a 10 gallon betta tank with a top fin filter.. I've asked multiple people at petsmart if you could cycle a top fin filter and how, and all have told me you cant. There's no where to sustain good bacteria. which true it may be or not, why would they make them if you cant cycle them? Seems odd! So I've tried looking for a marineland biowheel but the smallest one I have ran into is for 30? I think or 20 gallon tanks. I don't want to put too much of a current in my tank! My poor bettas will be tossed about all over the place. So how would I go about cycling my 10 gallon? Am i missing something?:fish2:

Yes you can cycle it. The bacteria will grow on the cartridge. The reason they say you can't cycle it (I'm guessing) is because it's recommend you replace the catridge monthly therefore tossing the bacteria. But we all know NOT to do that. I see no reason what so ever why it would not cycle.

also a filter rated for a 20-30g tank won't actually toss your betta around.. I run a aqua clear 50 (rated for 30-40g i think ) and a tetra filter for a 10g tank on my 10g fry tank and it doesn't throw them around

Back
Top Bottom