Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-07-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Can any silicone work?

I want to divide a tank and i need to use silicone. Can i use regular silicone or does it have to be aquarium safe. It seems to me that everytime you put aquarium in the name of a product, the price triples.

sugarloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 03:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I dont know about the silicone, but I do know about this:

It seems to me that everytime you put aquarium in the name of a product, the price triples.
So very, very true!!

Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to urville
oh yeah, i totally know. as aquarists we get robbed everyday on everything from fish to the tanks, ESPECIALLY on tanks themselves. and all these people on the net are like oh man save sserious cash by DIY'ing your tank.
DIY tanks are barely cheaper like maybe $10
lets see here where i live and the surrounding 50 miles the cheapest it got for a 48x13x20 standard 55 gallon size was
8.88 for the sides @
and 35 for the front, back, and bottom @
thats without any grinding, etc on straight normal plate glass, not counting silicone, hood, support glass, lights, and other setups

heck i can get the tank pre built with black plastic edgeing and a filter and net, and light at wal-mart for 158.88
and dont get me started on yardsales, like the 55 gallon i went to look at and was 500 cash bare with nothing not even lights. etc etc
rant completed.
oh well... i just get frustrated
urville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Although I always try to find things without the "aquarium" word added, silicone would not be one of them. Play it safe and go for the aquarium sealant.
~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
shawmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
There is some aquarium safe silicone that is not labeled as such. All-Glass silicone is actually a relabeled GE silicone. There are some detailed threads over at www.cichlidforum.com about this topic. There is also a lot of non aquarium safe silicones as well.

One aquarium safe type is GE Silicone I for Windows and Doors, in the clear color. This is the same stuff All-Glass uses. GE Silicone II is NOT aquarium safe, and Silicone I for bathrooms and kitchens is NOT aquarium safe either.

One more thing, if you go to Home Depot, in the adhesives section (not with the rest of the silicone), you can find a pretty big tube of aquarium safe silicone for about $5. It says "For Aquariums" right on it. A tube of All-Glass silicone at a per store is about the same price, and you get about 1/10 of the silicone than if you bought it at home depot.
*26 freshwater*
2x Sunburst Platys (2M, 2F) // 3x Neon Tetras (?) // 2x Cherry Barbs (1M, 1F) // 2x YoYo Loaches (?) // 1x Bushy Nose Pleco (M) // 1x Clown Pleco (?) //

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:58 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Great info, grimlock3000!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:47 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Sugarloves, since you are in Canada, go to Rona (Revy) - look for the Rona brand 100% pure silicone without mildewcide (in the window sealent section) - on the tube it states: perfect for use in aquariums. This is what I used to reseal my 80 gal <& no problems after 4 mos>.

This stuff cost around $3 for a big tube, something like 10 times less than the stuff from pet store. I believe this is the same thing as the original GE 100% silicone I, but I heard on the net <this may be an urban ledgend> GE can't label it as aquarium safe (because they make the aquarium silicone also & has a non-competitive contract ... or something like that). But in Canada, the contract does not apply, so GE can label aquarium safe on stuff they make for house brands in Canada.

I have also been told that Canadian tire has a house brand labeled for aquarium use as well ... prob. all these are made by GE.

80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com