Can anyone recommend a diatom filter for a 50 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andos99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking for a diatom filter for my 50 gal. If anyone has any links or recommendations, that would awesome! Thx.

Curious....my recent understanding tells me you don't need one....

And frankly a filter for diatoms specifically seems very much..well..odd to me ....but my learning curve is steep.

What is the situation that generated your post?

Fatz

I know several people here at AA use the Vortex diatom filters (I think they make two models, D1 and X something...XL or XS???) and like them a lot. My understanding is that they require more in the way of priming to use and maintenance than the other options out there.

I have the System I Pressure Filter, which I like because it is super easy to use (no priming) and you just hang it on the back of the tank, like any regular power filter. All the others need to go on the INSIDE of the tank while they are working, I think. There was also one called the Whisper Diatomagic filter that is supposedly easier to use than the Vortex models, but you do have to submerge the whole thing in the tank to use it. I haven't seen the Whisper mentioned anywhere for awhile, though. I am guessing they still make it, but I'm not sure.

The only problems I initially had with my System I were leaking and noise, both of which were solved by using vaseline around the lid of the jar and on the moving parts where the belt is.

SCFatz said:
Curious....my recent understanding tells me you don't need one....

And frankly a filter for diatoms specifically seems very much..well..odd to me ....but my learning curve is steep.

What is the situation that generated your post?

Fatz

I'm having difficulty managing my algae is the primary concern. I have tried numerous methods and I don't have a lot of spare time to mess with it. Diatom filters serve many purposes, but basically just purify water to a more pure state (filtering harmful gases, parasites, minute waste particles and suspended algae). I figured I could give it a shot and see what happens.

I have a Vortex D1 and am very pleased with it. I run it on each of my tanks once a week for 1/2 - 1 hour. It does a great job at removing the suspended algae that I just scraped off the glass and brushed off the driftwood.

Here's a thread about my diatom filter. It contains a link to a photoessay I made about setting it up and running it.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=66071&highlight=diatom

I use a h.o.t. magnum with the micron cartridge.
It can be used with or without diatomacious earth... I've done both.

With the regular micron cartridge, you can run it 24x7 to achieve great water quality on an already good tank.
With the micron cartridge plus a scoop of diatomacious earth, you can make a tank go from total green/near zero visibility to crystal clear in about half an hour to an hour... I love this filter.

Back
Top Bottom