Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #11

UPDATE:

Okay. Did a 50% water change on the tank, and hooked up the new Top Fin Air 8000 pump, and also cut longer pieces of tubing to connect to two of its four outlets (for each bar); the bubbles coming out are INCREDIBLE, and what I was looking for. Perhaps even more incredible is the fact that this pump is NOT as noisy as it was when I bought one years ago -- it MAY be the fact that I'm utilizing ALL four of its outputs (I don't expect this to last though, as it seems the more time that passes with these pumps, the lower and weaker their output becomes). Additionally, I took one of the bars out that happened to be in the 10 gallon I used to have the goldies in prior to getting this new 60 gallon (it was running in this new tank since I set it up and stripped the 10 gallon) and rinsed it under hot water while scrubbing with an old toothbrush to remove some algae that seems to have grown on it from the last tank; this MAY have contributed to the bubbles now coming out better too...

Here's the problem, though: Even with moving both bubble bars forward in the gravel, away from the two HOB filter intake tubes (and better burying them in the substrate so the bars themselves aren't visible -- looks MUCH better), the bubbles being produced now are STILL flying into the AquaClear 110's intake and the noise as they're ground up into microbubbles (and subsequently destroying the filter's impeller and motor from what I'm told) is driving me even NUTTIER than it did before...

Is there ANYTHING save for moving the bars even MORE FORWARD away from the intake tube (the Aqueon HOB isn't sucking in bubbles because the bar closest to that filter is too far to the intake tube's right for the bubbles to be sucked into it) that I can do to stop these bubbles from being sucked into the AquaClear 110's intake? Is it really true that a filter's motor can be burned out and completely fried by bubbles being sucked into it? If this is more of a rumor kind of thing rather than a fact, I could learn to live with the loud, unsettling noise I suppose...

Old 02-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
I've got two twenty four inch petco brand bubble bars for my 55 gallon and they are easily powered by the petco brand four way power air pump. It has four air outlets and I use t valves to connect two and use two outlets to a bubble bar. The petco brand pump is by far the best I've ever owned. Good luck!
That's EXACTLY what I did with my 18" Petco bars and the new Top Fin pump I just bought -- running two outputs to one bar via a T-connector and the other two to the other bar...

I didn't know Petco made 24 inch model bubble bars -- do you have any pics of your tank?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #13

UPDATE:

Got on a chair to reach the bottom of this ridiculously deep and tall tank (I will NEVER own another "high-over-long" aquarium again) and made a mess attempting to move the bubble bars forward to the point that the one that's producing bubbles being sucked into the AquaClear HOB wasn't making the grinding noise; the only thing this did was disturb the substrate and completely destroy the cohesiveness of the aquascaping my wife did in that corner of the tank -- we had a small Asian gazebo towards the right corner with tall plants around it, with a little "garden" leading up to it from cut up pieces of a Marineland "plant mat," and my digging around to move these PITA bars messed up her whole scape in that area, which looked perfect (the tank is still a design in progress -- we don't have nearly enough decor as we want). Further, I couldn't get the bar on the LEFT to move up any further because of a tree trunk decoration in that corner, and even if I did, the bars would be nearly in the CENTER of this tank because it's so darn narrow. So, I ended up moving the bar on the right back a bit, which started the horrendous filter intake noise again, burying it under the substrate and attempting to fix the messed-up decor. The little Asian gazebo was pushed way too far forward against the front glass when I moved the bar on that side forward to escape the filter intake suction, so the whole attempt just didn't work...

Can anyone recommend anything else?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would post a picture but I can't with the app for some reason.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm looking at the hagen elite pumps there supposed to be like 6 psi were most are 2 or 3 there made for bigger tanks like 300 gall or so should do what u want
Old 02-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Maybe I missed it but have you cleaned the impeller and surround lately? And did you say gravel or sand, if sand what kind.

You may just need to order a new impeller, as it may be out of round from something getting in there. You'll probably be able to see the shape inside to know.

Oh and as for the bubbles in the filter, I haven't heard it could burn out the motor, but it may be making the impeller jump around and be noisy.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo1313 View Post
I'm looking at the hagen elite pumps there supposed to be like 6 psi were most are 2 or 3 there made for bigger tanks like 300 gall or so should do what u want
Thanks Zippo; I will consider the Hagen Elite if this Top Fin has to go back for any reason...

While I was at Pet-not-so-Smart yesterday, I noticed they also had a Fluval pump or two, and I was tempted to pick that one up...the one I had my eye on, their most powerful carried at this store, was the same price as the Top Fin...
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Maybe I missed it but have you cleaned the impeller and surround lately? And did you say gravel or sand, if sand what kind.
The AquaClear 110, which is the HOB being affected by the sucked-in bubbles, was cleaned out and sterilized thoroughly after the last tank crash because there was a bacterial infection that ran rampant through that setup and the filters. So the impeller and parts have been cleaned thoroughly prior to setting up this new tank (which has been running almost two weeks now). Substrate isn't sand, it's medium-sized natural-colored gravel like this:

Top FinŽ Polished Pebbles - 2 lbs - Gravel & Sand - Fish - PetSmart

Quote:
You may just need to order a new impeller, as it may be out of round from something getting in there. You'll probably be able to see the shape inside to know.
I didn't have any problems with noise from this filter before the bubbles starting to go in there though...

Quote:
Oh and as for the bubbles in the filter, I haven't heard it could burn out the motor, but it may be making the impeller jump around and be noisy.
Could that be all it is...the "buzzing" I'm hearing?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #19

Okay, so a bit of an update...

Spent a great deal of time earlier on Saturday (well, today) attempting to quiet the overtly annoying, rattling buzz this Top Fin pump makes -- the only way the noise subsides is if you run the pump on MINIMUM output, which makes one of my bubble bars spit out a couple of bubbles while the other one throws a bit more, but as soon as I turn the control dial up, the humming/buzzing/ground loop-like racket returns. I placed two washcloths, folded a few times so they were thick, beneath the pump and it didn't quiet it. Next, I attempted to wrap a full towel around the pump -- with the washcloths still under it for extra absorption -- and if you can believe this, it seems to have made the humming and vibration feedback WORSE and LOUDER. I ended up taking the towel off of the pump and now I'm just running it with the washcloths beneath it while I figure out what to do next...

I have read from owners that wrote "reviews" (the grammar and spelling of these overviews are hysterically asinine) on Petsmart's site about these pumps that a computer mouse pad could be put beneath it to squelch some of the vibrations and noise the model 8000 in particular puts out, but I don't know if that's going to work if wrapping it in a thick towel with two layered washcloths beneath it didn't...

If anyone has any last-ditch suggestions to try on the noise/vibration front, I'm all ears, eyes and...well...you know...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #20

Here's another thought I had regarding the bubble/filter intake issue; if anyone has any opinion on this, please fire away...

What if I covered the area of the bubble bar that's directly in front of the filter intake, causing the bubbles to be sucked up into the impeller? Perhaps maybe with something like a stone/rock or a heap of the substrate? (I have plenty of it left over...)

Should this, at least in theory, block the bubbles that are going directly into the HOB's intake strainer, thus causing the impeller cavitation I'm hearing, and which is subsequently driving me f'in bonkers?? The only question I have then is, where would these "blocked" bubbles be directed to...would the rest of the bar then push out more bubbles because this section would be "blocked off"?

Tags
air, air pump, filter, intake, pump, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com