Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quad Reef Evo LED

I have this exact light from aqua traders, and yes, it can be dimmed, because I do it. You just have to use a 12-24v inline LED dimmer, and connect it between the transformers and the fixture itself. Cost like $9.50 on Amazon. You'll need one for each line.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I suppose the one from Lowes did not cut it. I believe I know which ones you are talking about. I acclimated my corals to the fixture by only giving them 4 hours of light per day and gradually worked them up to about 7 or 8 hours now. Any reason why I might need to use a dimmer otherwise? Thanks for the input.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought dimmer is more related to the driver the light has. It is not how much power you provide to the light, it is the amount of current the driver deliver to the LED. The more current the brighter the light will be. If the light's driver is "not dimmable" then you are very unlikely can dim it cuz you can't adjust the current going into the light. That being said, I am not sure about the external dimmer in this case so this would just be my 2 cents
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgbac
I have this exact light from aqua traders, and yes, it can be dimmed, because I do it. You just have to use a 12-24v inline LED dimmer, and connect it between the transformers and the fixture itself. Cost like $9.50 on Amazon. You'll need one for each line.
Is the inline dimmer still working well? I guess it cuts down on electicity usage. Notice much savings? I have been wanting to try the dimmer with my Quad Evo LEDs which have been toasting some corals. My favia is doing better now that they are no longer directly under these lights. I really need to dim these lights even though they are 6-7 inches from the canopy glass. Please let me know which dimmers u purchased. Some of the one I looked at were over $15 and I am not sure if they will work well.

Tags
dim, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com