Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can i DIY an electronic pump siphon

I am very new to the whole aquarium hobby. It has been a learning experience and a lot of fun but I still have one problem left. When I siphon to clean (and partial water change) using a python type device, it just does not suck hard enough. I have a good spot where gravity helps me too. I have a 100 gallon aquarium and a red eared slider turtle in there so I need a good "vaccuum" if you will at least once a week. Could I just rig up a strong aquarium pump and get decent sucction? Heck, I would even go out and buy a shop-vac or a pond pump. Anyone ever done that? I do not need to put the old water back in the tank. Gravity and python just too weak. Any advice greatly appreciated.

graham856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I hook up a small mag pump to my siphon hose and it works great. Plenty of suction and fast.

tmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks!! Any suggestion on brands to recommend. I suppose I would want one with adjustable flow. Trure? Some of these pumps go to 1000 gph or more.
graham856 is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, pump, siphon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com