Can I put an EV240 outside of and a few inches below my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrguru2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Whats up all? So I decided to get an EV240 for my 125g. I have also decided to do a 55g for my sump. I made my stand a little on the high side but it would still not be tall enough to fit the skimmer (26" tall) inside of the sump. Because I am still working on the setup, I would be able to modify the stand so that the skimmer would fit inside, just not inside the sump, it would also be sitting about 3 inches lower than the bottom of the sump. I am not sure of all the mechanics of the plumbing, but would this work or would it create some problems? Also, the 55g sump and the skimmer next to it would just about take up all the room under my stand, what other things will i likely end up needing to put under there for a reef setup that won't go into the sump. I am just wondering because now that i know the skimmer won't fit in the sump, I might take it down to a 40 gallon to get more space from the stand. Thanks everyone!!!

You can easily plumb the skimmer oustide the sump. You will need to put a bulkhead in the sump wall where the skimmer will be placed. You then just need to get the appropriate external rated pump to run the skimmer. There is not much else that would need plumbing externally unless you did a closed loop but that would be off the main tank, not the sump.

Anyone have a pic they can post as an example?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom