Can I use a 20 gal stand for a 15 gallon tall tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluebetta26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've asked this on the Drs. Foster and Smith website; both the live chat lady, and also called them and spoke to a customer service representative as well, and they both said it was okay. However, I have serious doubts about customer service reps understanding fully how the stands support aquariums.

Basically, I purchased the mixed media 20 high cabinet storage stand from Drs. Foster and Smith website, for my 15 gallon extra high aquarium. My apartment only allows up to 10 gallon aquariums, so I figured the 15 gallon high with the same foot print, but just 6" taller than a 10 gallon, was the perfect solution. (I had two 10's on a double stand before, and the apartment maintenance man didn't blink an eye. I don't think they care really. We have been here 4 years, I'm not worried).

Anyways, I'm concerned now that since the 15 gallon aquarium won't have it's perimeter lined up with the support beams on the stand, that it won't be able to support it's weight. The lady told me I can just put it in the center of the stand, and it'd be fine. I just wanted to check with some people here, to make sure that it is indeed okay. It will be filled with about 40lbs flourite, driftwood, rocks, and water of course. :)

It arrives tomorrow, so I was hoping to get my tank set up.

Also, should I put some foam between the aquarium and the stand?

Thank you!
st_lg_22862_FS34243PZ_001.jpg

if this is the pictured stand you are using I would say it's safe , it's rated for 20g but you have a 15g you will have enough support . I always used a towel under any small tanks
no need for foam that's a level surface.

Last edited:
What's the footprint of the 15 high? This stand is for a 20ntall? 24"× 12" foot??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Same foot print as a 10 gallon- 20"x11", just 19" tall
A 20 tall is 24"x13"x17"

It "should" be OK, always the chance it's cheap particle board and it will sag.. rimmed tanks are designed to be supported along the perimeter.

It "should" be OK, always the chance it's cheap particle board and it will sag.. rimmed tanks are designed to be supported along the perimeter.

Do you think I am taking a huge risk then and would be better off returning it and getting rid of the 15 and just getting a 10 gallon tank with a 10 gallon stand?

Or could I use it with a 10 gallon instead with less risk or would it still be a bad idea?

I only bought it because Drs. Foster and Smith people said it would work well with a 15 gallon. Now, I'm starting to regret it.

Not a huge risk, you could always add a piece of plywood under the tank. If you use as is just keep a close eye on the surface for warping

It should hold up fine, you only going to be 2 inches shorter on either side. That small of weight is unlikely to put any extra strain on it.
IF it still worries you and you need the extra comfort you might be able to find or craft a brace that you can put in the middle. I would be comfortable putting money on it holding without though.

It should hold up fine, you only going to be 2 inches shorter on either side. That small of weight is unlikely to put any extra strain on it.
IF it still worries you and you need the extra comfort you might be able to find or craft a brace that you can put in the middle. I would be comfortable putting money on it holding without though.

Thanks for the response! I already just got a 10 gallon tank, and ordered a new stand and everything for it as well. However, now I'm considering just setting up the 20 gallon cabinet stand and using the 15 high like I wanted to originally. Or just using it for the 10. And canceling my order that hasn't shipped yet. Decisions, decisions.

Thank you again for your response, and explaining your thoughts on why it'd be okay.

Where did you find your 15 high btw? I was considering one a while ago but couldn't find them other than having them custom ordered for high cost.

Where did you find your 15 high btw? I was considering one a while ago but couldn't find them other than having them custom ordered for high cost.

Craigslist. Took me about a month of diligent searching. However, there is a piece of plastic from a reptile lid melted to the top rim to the aquarium (the craigslist poster said the previous owner used it for reptiles and somehow melted part of the reptile lid to it. It doesn't affect the use of the tank, except for having to angle the lid in a bit to get it to fit, but it is really sharp and has cut my arm a couple times already when cleaning the tank initially, so I'm probably just going to go with the 10 I have instead.

I assembled the stand today though, and feel confident it will be fine with a 10 gallon.

Glasscages sells a 15 high for $64 brand new. Glasscages.com - Glass Aquariums

Craigslist. Took me about a month of diligent searching. However, there is a piece of plastic from a reptile lid melted to the top rim to the aquarium (the craigslist poster said the previous owner used it for reptiles and somehow melted part of the reptile lid to it. It doesn't affect the use of the tank, except for having to angle the lid in a bit to get it to fit, but it is really sharp and has cut my arm a couple times already when cleaning the tank initially, so I'm probably just going to go with the 10 I have instead.

I assembled the stand today though, and feel confident it will be fine with a 10 gallon.

Glasscages sells a 15 high for $64 brand new. Glasscages.com - Glass Aquariums

They probably melted it with a UVB light if it was for reptiles.

glass aquariums are designed to only be supported on the 4 corners. so ideally you want the corners to line up with the 4 legs. However since it's a small tank, probably won't be an issue

But that's why prefer for my stands to be open on the top as it is less likely to create uneven pressure points on the bottom glass panel

Back
Top Bottom