Can i use a canister filter if i have a low, shirt stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there a rule or whatnot as to how low a canister filter needs to be? If I have a short stand, can I put the filter in the floor next to the tank? It would be well below the water surface but it would rise above the bottom of the tank. Is that ok?

Don't think so. I had mine under my tank. They make HOB cans that hang right on the back of your tank, that are basically just smaller with metal arms for mounting. If somebody knows differently please chime in, but that's what I think to be true...

And by don't think so I mean I don't think there is a rule... You should be fine :cool:

I've never seen it done. My suggestion would be to check with the manufacturer about a specific model before purchasing.

FishontheRock said:
I've never seen it done. My suggestion would be to check with the manufacturer about a specific model before purchasing.

Never seen what done? A canister filter on the floor? That's the point of them, is to be stored below the tank...

Benamayer said:
Never seen what done? A canister filter on the floor? That's the point of them, is to be stored below the tank...

Never seen a canister with a tank on a low stand.

Well what difference would it make, the water is driven. If a canister can be a HOB, and essentially sit ABOVE the tank, and the regular cans sit BELOW the tank, what's it matter if it's more in the middle?

It will work but just make sure the hoses aren't too long. When you get the new stand you may or may not need new hoses. That's if they need to be cut now. Is this still the temporary stand you're talking about?

Benamayer said:
CraigMac... Is this what you're looking to do?

No, the stand my tank sits on is low, only like 15 inches high. The filter won't fit under te stand cause the stand is too short so I was gonna sit the filter I the floor next to it. This is only temporary while I build a new stand.

Would it be ok?

all canisters are different, the specs will tell you how far below water level they must be to run properly. It doesnt matter what height the bottom of the tank falls at it all matters the difference in height between the top of the caniter and the water level.

I would read the directions. Most canister filters will explicitly state how far below the water line the filter will need to be. It need to be low enough that the water enters the canister filter as fast as the pump can remove it. If the water enters the tank slower than the pump removes it, the pump will have to work to pump the extra water, which potentially results in cavitations and reduced life of the pump.

I think two feet is the general minimum, but it will vary between filters.

Back
Top Bottom