Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can i use the carbon again?

I used the carbon the first week when I got my filter then removed it for fishless cycling. I placed it in a Tupperware figuring it had 3 weeks use left... Anyway, my water is getting cloudy a little and I wanted to know if it'd be safe to put it back in for a couple weeks to see if it helps, or do I have to buy a new one?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyBusiness
I used the carbon the first week when I got my filter then removed it for fishless cycling. I placed it in a Tupperware figuring it had 3 weeks use left... Anyway, my water is getting cloudy a little and I wanted to know if it'd be safe to put it back in for a couple weeks to see if it helps, or do I have to buy a new one?
Carbon doesn't last long at all IMO, maybe a week it 2. I'd say go for it. It's not gonna hurt it just may not help.

I would rather use filter floss/poly floss/polishing pads to get the very very done particles floating around in the water. What filter are you using.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I was at Petsmart last night to look for some but I couldn't find any anywhere. Lady said they were sold out but my nearest LFS is an hour away and only go once a month. I'll have to buy some online. I have a 90g mbuna tank with AC 110.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah I was at Petsmart last night to look for some but I couldn't find any anywhere. Lady said they were sold out but my nearest LFS is an hour away and only go once a month. I'll have to buy some online. I have a 90g mbuna tank with AC 110.
Oh ok I have a AC110 also. Put the carbon back in and see of it helps. I'd get some polishing pads when you can. You'll be amazed at what you see TRUST ME. I use them all the time and every couple of days I have to change them out. I buy them by the cases.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I've heard good things about using them. I figured til I did I'd see if I can use the carbon to see. What brand do u use or a good site to buy I from? eBay or amazon?
Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah I've heard good things about using them. I figured til I did I'd see if I can use the carbon to see. What brand do u use or a good site to buy I from? eBay or amazon?
I use amazon. It's poly floss. Or you can get the stuffing for comforters. They sell HUGE bags at like a Walmart or a arts an crafts shop. Just make sure it's free of any chemicals. It will state on the bag that it is or isn't. It's white.

The poly floss looks like this, this is what I use.
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Value-P...loss-3PACK.htm

Check out the picture at the bottom. GROSS!! And we think our filters are doing an awesome job? This is what it picks up AFTER the sponge.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok maybe I'll get some at Walmart for now. Hope they have it. I'll have to look. I'm assuming you put it between the foam pad and biomedia or right on top?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok maybe I'll get some at Walmart for now. Hope they have it. I'll have to look. I'm assuming you put it between the foam pad and biomedia or right on top?
In between just like you said. BUT... I don't use bio media. I have a fx5 that's my main filtration. I weigh the floss down with a media bag filled with crushed coral to help buffer the water and maintain pH levels. It will be fine between the sponge and bio media in your situation. On top it will just float into your display tank which obviously we don't want.

Good luck

Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Carbon (Chemical) Filtration

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyBusiness View Post
Hello Fishy...

You can use the carbon. It will keep the odors in the tank to a minimum and help keep the water clear. After the three weeks, just remove it and start changing half the water in the tank every week. Large, weekly water changes will do much more than carbon to keep the water clear and will guarantee stable conditions for your fish and plants.

B
Old 08-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My tanks been set up for a while now and I do my 50% weekly changes. It's not horribly cloudy, just a little but I want it crystal clear

Tags
carbon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com