Can my table hold it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Revenantwing

Aquarium Advice Freak
How can i make sure my table can withstand more water? i have a 5 gallon right now and I am going to be upgrading to a 10 soon.

I wouldn't imagine any solid table giving out from a 10 gallon tank, maybe a particle board one. Do you have a picture of the table in question?

the pics may looks upside down. turn ur head left :]

Attachments

• IMG_0177[1].JPG
    IMG_0177[1].JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0175[1].jpg
    IMG_0175[1].jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 146
putting a board in the middle would help just like you got on the sides there

but i think it might hold being that the tank its centered right on that board

As u can see my 48gal tank sits on a fake board dresser or what ever this is called

On the other pic you see how the weight brings down the center but u see a gap on the other end I sometimes have a hard time opening and closing that first drawer

To resolve the problem of the serious bend
The third pic shows how I put a white board bigger then my dresser so it balances out the weight

Attachments

• image-3250460847.jpg
    image-3250460847.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3480652009.jpg
    image-3480652009.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1870032886.jpg
    image-1870032886.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 100
If you put a stiffer board on top, rather than sag, it will help distribute the load through the sides (same concept as the arch)

if your handy with a screw driver and a saw try making a brace like to ones you see under picnic tables with a board directly in the center and two on 45 deg angles to the outer legs that will take some of the weight from the center and distribute it to the outside legs .. increasing the center weight capacity

*Edit*

ok actually looked at the pics closely this time ..didnt notice the computer there ... first recommendation is out the window.. on to the next...
under the top if you have room you can run a 2X4 on edge across the length of the top in about the center and attach it to the sides useing screws...

i was thinking of a marble slate not sure if its able to hold all of that plus the 400lbs water weight but that lil dent you see in the third pic its sorta permanent cause before i put that board i filled the tank up and it bent hard like it was about to cave in so *pow* thats what i got

and i live in an apt complex on the 7th floor all that water omg
where would it go hmmm

this is what my 10g nanos on it has 15lb sand 8-10lb rockk plus 8-9g of water. its an old deskk nice and sturdy all real wood no bowing at all

does it wobble ?

right in that middle, in between the pc and the testing kit you can put a board just like you got on the sides and it will support the center with out any problems also putting a back board to cover that back end would insure it dont wobble

im planning on buying pieces of wood to go straight down from the bottom of the aquarium down to the PC area and put a little bit more support around the sides. Lots of work ahead of me

i guess ill add a piece of wood under and cover the back. Yes this is fiber wood. Not solid D:

Back
Top Bottom