Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
is back to save the day!

Can poor lighting make your water SEEM cloudy?

Question is above, but this light bulb has to be at least 12 years old and it's a NO fluorescent. I think 15w maybe 18w, somewhere around there because it's a single bulb made to go over a covered 10G AGA tank.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I would say no, it's not caused by the light. What "color" is the cloudyness? A whitish look can be a bacterial bloom or precipitation from high alk/calcium and a greenish look can be an algae bloom.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I agree, the bulb won't make the water cloudy. It's a bloom or precip.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
is back to save the day!

Hmm.. that's weird then. I mean.. the water doesn't look cloudy.. it's pretty clear, but it looks like the rocks have a glowing outline.. just a bit. It's hard to explain, but i've been running filter floss and carbon for a few days. I would've thought my water'd be crystal clear by now. It's not a greenish cloud either.. and it's not even a white cloud. The rocks just look like they glow a bit.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alien rocks
Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How much carbon do you have running in your filter?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
is back to save the day!

Not alot.. It's a filter made for a 5-10G tank lol. I just have it running on the fuge for a little extra cleanliness.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

IMO, I think it depends on what you're calling cloudy.. I had a tank with a dingy yellowish looking bulb on it that made the tank look dingy and yellowish. Once i replaced it with a nice bright white bulb, it made the tank look 100 times better. If its just a NO fixture, probably t-8 or t-12, run down to hd or walmart and get a daylight bulb for like $5. if you get the walmart bulb, make sure to get the one that says "cool" not the "warm" and that should help... thats just my experience though

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

The main cause of cloudy water is overfeeding and/or too many fish in the aquarium. Too-bright lights are another cause of cloudiness, because they encourage the growth of algae. Feed your fish only every other day for a week and see if the water clears (they won't die). Also, check your filter and make sure the filter medium is not clogged with gunk. And when is the last time you have cleaned the bed of substrate?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
is back to save the day!

The tank is brand new, and just finished its cycle. I have no inhabitants, and all of the algae is growing in the refugium. The cloudiness was coming from the color of the bulb, reflecting off my rocks. I've got a filter stuffed with activated carbon and filter floss, and have since upgraded my lighting to a 150w Metal Halide pendant. No more cloudiness. Thanks to all that helped.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com