Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Can someone confirm my wattage

I'm new. I bought a 36" Nova Extreme T5HO light fixture. Specs say it's 2x39watt, with a 10,000K bulb and a 'Freshwater' bulb. I have a 40g breeder tank, 36"longx17"highx18"deep. Am I getting 78 watts total-1.95 watts per gallon? Is that considered high, medium or low lighting? I am getting some dwarf baby tears, anubias(barteri v nana, and frazeri), Red myrio, and bacopa australis. Is my lighting sufficient?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #2

Also...is my wattage limited by the bulbs or the fixture? Can I buy higher wattage bulbs?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can't add a different wattage, youre stuck with the 2 x 39's.
Most if not all 36 inch fixtures will be the same wattage, 39watts. You could go with a 4 bulb setup though.....
Old 02-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #4

Do you recommend a 4 bulb set-up for my tank?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Depends on what you want to keep. I am only versed in saltwater pretty much but I'm sure someone in FW can answer definitively.

If you do go with another fixture, fish need it;lights; food;Sponge has a decent fixture for not a lot of money. I have one myself, good quality.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Depends on what you want to put into the tank. I'm not familiar with some of the plants you listed, but if you use the old watts-per-gallon rating, then you currently have low level lighting. Thats fine for the anubias and other low-light plants, but if you have plants requiring more, then you will either need to add another fixture or upgrade to one larger fixture.
AquariumPlants.com can help you determine your needs.
This site
Old 02-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

2x39w on a 40b is really pushing it on needing pressurized co2 and ferts IME. 4x39w is really hard to control until you get th right balance. I grew all kinds of plants in my 40b with a 2x39w. Once I switched to 4x39w, I grew algae with no problem. The plants grew too, and I eventually found a balance that worked well for me. I'd stick with the 2x39w until you're ready for a high tech tank.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wattage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com