Can you pack a HOB cartridge filter (tetra or aqueon) like an Aquaclear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csskkai

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone who was familiar with Aquaclear filters knew if you could pack a HOB filter like the Aqueon ones or Tetra Whisper EX filters like you would an Aquaclear filter.

Aquaclear is filled with horizontal layers, usually a sponge on the bottom and a sack of biomedia in the middle. Other layers are up to you.

However, the other HOB filters from Tetra and Aqueon use cartridges. It's basically a filter bag with carbon in it on a rigid plastic frame that you insert vertically into the filter cavity.

Is it possible to pack these hob cartridge filters the same way you would pack the Aquaclears? Does the water circulate the same way through all the layers if I did this? I have all three of these filters. For the Tetra Whisper EX and Aqueon filter, I would like to pack them like my Aquaclear. Would it be viable?

Let me know what you think :flowers:

You sure can. I use blue-bonded filter pads cut to the size of the frame. It doesn't really fit on the frame, just next to it for support. You can get this at petsmart or kensfish.com or a bunch of other places. For dirt cheap you can use quilt batting but that needs replacement more often and breaks apart.

Lots of things work ....... many stuff their HOB's with filter floss.

I get crystal clear polished water in both my Fluval C3 and Aquatech 30-60 using various combinations of sponge or homemade pre-filters, filter floss, seachem Purigen, seachem Matrix, AquaticLife 100 Micron (cut to fit) Non-Woven filter pad, and Acurel (cut to fit) waist & debris reducing pads.

Back
Top Bottom