Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pictures when your set up! I'm curious how it looks.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawngnome View Post
Pictures when your set up! I'm curious how it looks.
Funny that you ask, I was taking photos while you posted that.

I should be okay, I don't see anything wrong, do you guys? It's not meant to be pretty of course lol...most of the articles I read were for 55g setups and not 75 but I think I'm in the clear. I'm just not sure about the tank and plywood hanging over just tiny bit on the edges, but it's perfectly even.

I know the two blocks on the right look a bit different but they are the same size.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwn88 View Post
Funny that you ask, I was taking photos while you posted that.

I should be okay, I don't see anything wrong, do you guys? It's not meant to be pretty of course lol...most of the articles I read were for 55g setups and not 75 but I think I'm in the clear. I'm just not sure about the tank and plywood hanging over just tiny bit on the edges, but it's perfectly even.

I know the two blocks on the right look a bit different but they are the same size.
That's funny. You should be fine. It looks pretty good. Personally I would probably spray paint the blocks. Cheap way for a quick stand, nice work.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah I might spray paint them soon. The main reason why I did this besides saving some money is I can't fit a stand for a 75g in my car, but this way I was able too. Worked out perfectly.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

looks great. I would tack a sheet or a curtain of some kind around the plywood.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Keep in mind that cinder blocks and concrete blocks are brittle and unstable, they don't have the flexibility of wood and can crack easily. (Your 75 gallon tank will weigh 626 lbs, and that's just the water). If one block should crack, then you would have to drain the tank and take them all down and replace the cracked block. Your best bet would be to buy a good sturdy wooden stand and make sure it is balanced and supported well.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
looks great. I would tack a sheet or a curtain of some kind around the plywood.
sounds like a good idea. those blocks will definitely hold that little tank.
i was under the impression you were using 4 stacks total, but this will also work. i don't think you even need the 2 x 4s.

The American Society for Testing and Materials publishes standard expectations for load-bearing masonry, such as concrete cinder blocks. Different concrete mixes and cinder block molds have different requirements. In general, load-bearing blocks must be able to withstand 2,500 to 3,000 psi (pounds per square inch of top surface area) when tested 28 days after manufacture.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:14 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm very glad I found this thread. This is what I'll be doing for my new tank since I'm not allowed to build beyond the assembly sense in my current apartment.

I was concerned about the slight overhang of an 18" wide tank and top on top of 16" blocks, but if that doesn't seem to be a problem then it's all gravy. I'm going to use a piece of birch 3/4" plywood for the top and have it cut to 19" so there'll be 1/2 inch lip all the way around, which I figure will come in handy when it's time to move the thing a few years down the road. Although having 1" all the way around seems a bit better for when that has to happen.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

you could of stood the blocks on edge and used the holes as shelves instead of laying them all down like u did. looks good for the price though and does the job. nice work
Old 02-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here I am setting sail on the $30 solution boat! This is for a 30x18 56g column tank.

The stand is pretty well level as it sits without weight on it, but we'll see where that goes. I think the whole place is a little off in that department. I ended up leaving a 3/4" lip all the way around.

I've got about 6" of space between it and the wall. Does that sound like enough or should I adjust it? My primary filtration is going to be a Fluval 405. The pink foam there is just to represent the footprint of the tank so I could mark where it needs to sit. It, and its little passenger, won't be staying
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	28432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	28433  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	28434  

Tags
aquarium stand, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com