Can you use concrete blocks as an aquarium stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I notice there is an overhang which could cause serious stress if the plywood should warp. Is the plywood 1/2-inch or 3/4-inch? 1/2 is not likely to be strong enough for a heavy tank. Also, there should be a pad of some kind under the tank to distribute stress. And, keep in mind that if someone should stumble and bump into the tank the whole setup could go crashing to the floor. Oh well, good luck....

I notice there is an overhang which could cause serious stress if the plywood should warp. Is the plywood 1/2-inch or 3/4-inch? 1/2 is not likely to be strong enough for a heavy tank. Also, there should be a pad of some kind under the tank to distribute stress. And, keep in mind that if someone should stumble and bump into the tank the whole setup could go crashing to the floor. Oh well, good luck....

i dont think the ply wood is going to warp ar twist or bend or bow with the tank ontop and some sturdy 3x2 (i belive) underneath. even if it does its just a case of laminating the 3x2 or an extra colum of blocks. the lip is a good idea it helps spread the load of the tank even thoe its not that much every littel helps. i think this should be fine unless u do happen to have a pet rhino :D:D:D

I'm not an engineer, but I would be worried about instability with blocks on just either end and the middle. I would make a semi-solid block of them, me, and then maybe use the wood on top as a unifying "tabletop" surface.
How did the lfs have them set up? Same size tank? Just copy them, I guess, because surely it is working out for them. :)
Anyway, it's a really efficient idea, and you could even drape a sheet, tablecloth, or etc. over it if you didn't want the cinder block look of it.
I thought you could paint them too, and when I googled I found this.
Build a Strong, Inexpensive Aquarium Stand « Random Bits of Projects
It looks so nice!!

It is RIDICULOUS that you would not be comfortable with cinder block supports in three columns for you tank....that could support your car!!!!

Keep in mind that cinder blocks and concrete blocks are brittle and unstable, they don't have the flexibility of wood and can crack easily. (Your 75 gallon tank will weigh 626 lbs, and that's just the water). If one block should crack, then you would have to drain the tank and take them all down and replace the cracked block. Your best bet would be to buy a good sturdy wooden stand and make sure it is balanced and supported well.

There is NO WAY a small 75 gallon tank will crack one of those blocks. I really wish you guys would go look at a manufactured stand. they are all 1 by lumber.

There is NO WAY a small 75 gallon tank will crack one of those blocks. I really wish you guys would go look at a manufactured stand. they are all 1 by lumber.

Or even worse, 1/2" MDF panels with a 3/4" MDF top :-(

I've got my empty 56 sitting on my block stand now. I've been hitting it with the level all over and the only place that I see it being off is length wise - it's about 1/32" from being level.

The four corners of the tank are all firmly on the top. I went around the edges and tested with a piece of paper, and found that I can't get it under the corners. BUT, and this is my only concern at this point, around the middle of the length, and width, there is a tiny gap that's well less than 1mm. It's about big enough to slide in a piece of folded paper.

I hit the thing with a bigger straight edge and found that despite my meticulous efforts to obtain the flattest, straightest piece of wood, the tiny gap is being caused by bow in the ply.

Now, my question is - do I go in search of a new top, or do I partially fill the tank and see if the weight of it will flatten out the ply on top of the 2x4s? When I originally noticed the slight bow, I stacked ~450lbs onto the stand and pretty well flattened out with that weight across it. My main concern was that, even if a filled tank did flatten it out, would the glass be in danger?

I feel like I'm splitting hairs at this point because in my childhood I had built multiple and very untrustworthy wooden stands with all kinds of issues, but even those held the tanks they were made for, for years without so much as a leak.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I don't want 56g of water on my floor:)

If 1/32 is the worse you have you will be fine. I had my 55g tank on top of what amounted to a total of 2 2x4's (as it was on a counter that was not built up) and it was a good 1/4" or more off and it was fine for 1.5 years. Once you have all the water in there is a VERY good chance that will change anyway.

I personally would rather build my own stand but you honestly can't get anything stronger than concrete blocks. I live in FL and I can't even express the number of mobile homes there are around here and every single one is on concrete blocks. I'm not saying that as a bad thing either as I've been living in them for the past 15 years (will be moving into a house soon-a house built out of concrete blocks! lol)

Just to update, it's been filled with water for about....I'd say a week now I believe and there hasn't been any issues. It's been perfect. No blocks cracking, and no wood warping or anything like that. It's working out really well

Concrete Block Stand

Hi and Happy New Year to All.
I have subscribe to this thread. I will be setting up a 100gal glass tank. I would like to use 18" Concrete blocks. They will be stacked 4 high on each end/corners total of 8 blocks. I will used 4 2x4's and 3/4" plywood with the Styrofoam on top the plywood. Tank and stand will be set on a Ceramic tiled floor. IS IT IMPERATIVE/NECESSARY FOR A THIRD STACK OF BLOCKS IN THE MIDDLE?

ALL Views,Opinions and Experience are welcome.
thanks in advance.

what tanks going ontop
id be caution with the ceramic floor tiles the block with scratch n crack the tiles and if there is any holows under the tiles then the block will crack n tip dwon the hole which cn cause your tank to fall off

would advise a third or fourth coloum in the middel as a precaution and would sort something out about the ceramic tiles maby remove the ones where the blocks will be it needs to be a hard sound base for the blocks and i would strongley recomend that unless u have concrete floors like in a block of flats i would have the tank on a ground floor location. hope this helps

would advise a third or fourth coloum in the middel as a precaution and would sort something out about the ceramic tiles maby remove the ones where the blocks will be it needs to be a hard sound base for the blocks and i would strongley recomend that unless u have concrete floors like in a block of flats i would have the tank on a ground floor location. hope this helps

Thank you, i will look into the Tile and third column.

Thanks for this thread! Our 10gallon at work is on a side board type peice of office furniture, and today we noticed that it may be sagging in the middle. I mentioned the cinder block idea, and one of the ladies is bringing some tomorrow for our new aquarium stand! We intend to drape it with a curtain, and have a middle plywood shelf under it for supplies. Appreciate the idea!

Deep Seven said:
You could possibly use pieces of the 3/4" plywood slighty bigger then the bricks to protect the floor.

Yea that will also help to spread the weight off the blocks over bigger area

Back
Top Bottom