Can you use concrete blocks as an aquarium stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlwn88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm currently upgrading to a 75G I just picked up last night for my cichlids that are currently in just a 30G. I already have salt water tank is in the living room, and I'm putting the 75g in what I call the man cave right now lol, the 2nd room to my apartment that only has a computer desk and a couple of other things because it's just my girlfriend and I.

Anyways, although the tank is going to look great, I'm not too worried about getting a stand that looks great, already have one for the other tank to store stuff in. I've seen my LFS have various large aquariums on concrete blocks under both sides and seem to do alright. Are there any issues in the long run with doing this? Should I put something softer on top of blocks before I begin to set up everything? Is this a good idea? Looks like a great cheap way to stand a tank on.

Thanks,
Dave

Maybe cinder blocks would be better, and then get a piece of wood to put on top of them, so you don't tear up your tank.

My fault, I actually did mean cinder blocks. The LFS were using cincer blocks. They weren't using wood but that's a good idea. It would probably have to get a very thick piece then so it doesn't bend or anything.

Yeah, I would use the cinder blocks on the ends and more in the middle, then try to get a piece of plywood or maybe some 2x4's nailed together to fit right under the tank. 2x4's would add more support than the plywood.

Yeah, I would use the cinder blocks on the ends and more in the middle, then try to get a piece of plywood or maybe some 2x4's nailed together to fit right under the tank. 2x4's would add more support than the plywood.

I'm not an engineer, but I would be worried about instability with blocks on just either end and the middle. I would make a semi-solid block of them, me, and then maybe use the wood on top as a unifying "tabletop" surface.
How did the lfs have them set up? Same size tank? Just copy them, I guess, because surely it is working out for them. :)
Anyway, it's a really efficient idea, and you could even drape a sheet, tablecloth, or etc. over it if you didn't want the cinder block look of it.
I thought you could paint them too, and when I googled I found this.
Build a Strong, Inexpensive Aquarium Stand « Random Bits of Projects
It looks so nice!!

I would just be worried about bumping into it and causing it to fall... I would also not have them just under the ends, I would put at least 1 additional stack in the middle.

cinder blocks at the 4 corners of a 75 gallon tank will be very sturdy. a standard block is 8x8x16. that means that 32 of the 48 inches will be covered. no need to put anything in the middle, as the middle of the tank doesn't een press against anything. it's the edges of a 75 that are supported.
i would use 3/4" plywood on the top of the blocks, but this would be very sturdy. once it's full of water- you are not going to move it!

OK let's talk. I was in the pet shop business for about 20 years. When I first started the store, I couldn't afford high dollar racks, so I used concrete block. There is no such thing as cinder block anymore. They are all made of concrete. They are one of the strongest stands that can be built. Remember to stack the block so you look down the holes(they are the strongest that way) If you like(I would strongly advise) to put shelves out of 3/4" plywood, or 2x10's running length wise.(great way to make bookshelves), It also adds stability. All tanks are supported from the ends. But if you feel safer add a middle column of blocks. On the topput a piece of 3/4' plywood, and a piece of foam on top of that. You can get the styrofoam in the building section of Home Depot, or Lowe's(don't cost much, maybe 10 bucks) The foam is a good thing on any stand, as it takes away any slight tweak in the stand. MAKE SURE THE STAND IS LEVEL, FRONT TO BACK, AND END TO END. If you don't have a 4 ft. level, set a straight edge across the top(something you know is straight.) and set the torpedo level on that. A torpedo level can be picked up at the dollar store, for about a "DUH".

Last edited by a moderator:
cinder blocks at the 4 corners of a 75 gallon tank will be very sturdy. a standard block is 8x8x16. that means that 32 of the 48 inches will be covered. no need to put anything in the middle, as the middle of the tank doesn't een press against anything. it's the edges of a 75 that are supported.
i would use 3/4" plywood on the top of the blocks, but this would be very sturdy. once it's full of water- you are not going to move it!

I just came back from home depot with everything I need, for 28 bucks too woohoo! The advice given to me here is almost, if not identical, to an article I just found on the internet. You have the blocks, then 3 2x4's on top, plywood on top of that, then the tank. At first I was a little concerned but I've just set it up, no tank on it yet but I can tell it looks like I'll be alright.

Thanks everyone.

Pictures when your set up! I'm curious how it looks.

Funny that you ask, I was taking photos while you posted that.

I should be okay, I don't see anything wrong, do you guys? It's not meant to be pretty of course lol...most of the articles I read were for 55g setups and not 75 but I think I'm in the clear. I'm just not sure about the tank and plywood hanging over just tiny bit on the edges, but it's perfectly even.

img_1213242_0_00cf8e42c55961577ec837cae0b9ade7.jpg

img_1213242_1_8ae9bc587c866b00c04b8c1292e321b6.jpg

I know the two blocks on the right look a bit different but they are the same size.

Funny that you ask, I was taking photos while you posted that.

I should be okay, I don't see anything wrong, do you guys? It's not meant to be pretty of course lol...most of the articles I read were for 55g setups and not 75 but I think I'm in the clear. I'm just not sure about the tank and plywood hanging over just tiny bit on the edges, but it's perfectly even.

img_1213253_0_00cf8e42c55961577ec837cae0b9ade7.jpg

img_1213253_1_8ae9bc587c866b00c04b8c1292e321b6.jpg

I know the two blocks on the right look a bit different but they are the same size.

That's funny. You should be fine. It looks pretty good. Personally I would probably spray paint the blocks. Cheap way for a quick stand, nice work.

Yeah I might spray paint them soon. The main reason why I did this besides saving some money is I can't fit a stand for a 75g in my car, but this way I was able too. Worked out perfectly.

looks great. I would tack a sheet or a curtain of some kind around the plywood.

Keep in mind that cinder blocks and concrete blocks are brittle and unstable, they don't have the flexibility of wood and can crack easily. (Your 75 gallon tank will weigh 626 lbs, and that's just the water). If one block should crack, then you would have to drain the tank and take them all down and replace the cracked block. Your best bet would be to buy a good sturdy wooden stand and make sure it is balanced and supported well.

looks great. I would tack a sheet or a curtain of some kind around the plywood.
sounds like a good idea. those blocks will definitely hold that little tank.
i was under the impression you were using 4 stacks total, but this will also work. i don't think you even need the 2 x 4s.

The American Society for Testing and Materials publishes standard expectations for load-bearing masonry, such as concrete cinder blocks. Different concrete mixes and cinder block molds have different requirements. In general, load-bearing blocks must be able to withstand 2,500 to 3,000 psi (pounds per square inch of top surface area) when tested 28 days after manufacture.

I'm very glad I found this thread. This is what I'll be doing for my new tank since I'm not allowed to build beyond the assembly sense in my current apartment.

I was concerned about the slight overhang of an 18" wide tank and top on top of 16" blocks, but if that doesn't seem to be a problem then it's all gravy. I'm going to use a piece of birch 3/4" plywood for the top and have it cut to 19" so there'll be 1/2 inch lip all the way around, which I figure will come in handy when it's time to move the thing a few years down the road. Although having 1" all the way around seems a bit better for when that has to happen.

you could of stood the blocks on edge and used the holes as shelves instead of laying them all down like u did. looks good for the price though and does the job. nice work

Here I am setting sail on the $30 solution boat! This is for a 30x18 56g column tank.

The stand is pretty well level as it sits without weight on it, but we'll see where that goes. I think the whole place is a little off in that department. I ended up leaving a 3/4" lip all the way around.

I've got about 6" of space between it and the wall. Does that sound like enough or should I adjust it? My primary filtration is going to be a Fluval 405. The pink foam there is just to represent the footprint of the tank so I could mark where it needs to sit. It, and its little passenger, won't be staying :)

Attachments

• Stand1.jpg
    Stand1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 694
  • Stand2.jpg
    Stand2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 684
  • Stand3.jpg
    Stand3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 359
Back
Top Bottom