Candy cane coral location and light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooldini

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,, I have gotten a fiji candy cane coral. I have it in a 30 gallon with 2 96 watt PC's. I have two questions.
1- Is it normally for some of the sections to be very very bright green and others just light green.
2- Is it ok to have it placed on the bottom like I do? several things I read about them made it sound ok like this. I have attached a pic. Thanks for any help

Jeff

Jeff tanks looks great, the candycane is a very easy coral to take care of. The candy cane should have two different colors to it a different color in the center and on the outside rim. I would recommend placing it towards the middle of the tank and have a moderate flow of water on it also. HTH

Hello and thanks alot. I am new but everything is going very well. I work from home so have a lot of time to work with things :). Just wish I had more money LOL. I can't find a good spot for the candy except on the bottom,, do you think it will be ok,, its color is already getting better today.It has nice current but not really strong. I could maybe come up with somewere else but it may be hard. If you feel it will do ok down there I will leave it. how do I tell if it doing ok? Does it feed on phytoplankton? Thanks for the help

Jeff

Just light should be enough for a candycane i believe or bullseye what they call them also. I would place it in the middle or bottom would be fine more of the middle i would though. You will know if its doing good where its at by looking at the top of the sticks if its blooming its liking it.. Heres a weblink to help you a little bit: http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=454

HTH

Garrett

Cool,, that is the page I printed to keep for reference :). I will try and find a place more middle, it if seems unhappy. the actual tips are about 12 inches from light right now. Probably too soon to tell anything yet. beautiful piece so I wanna make it work. Thanks for the help gooyferret. I appreciate it.

thanks
Jeff

Jeff not a problem man..I really do like the candycoral also very elegant and easy to take care of piece im hoping on picking a piece up sometime soon for my 125gal

I have a piece myself and I placed mine at the middle. It is a very easy coral and does not require a lot of light. You will know if it is happy when it is all blown up and the centres are florescent green.

Thanks guys,, You have been alot to help. By the end of the night yesterday they were all puffed up with little white tenticles I guess sticking out in the middle and the outer rings were a very bright flueresent green. she is looking good.

thanks
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom