Canister advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im in the market for a canister filter for my 45g tank. The Marineland 350 HoB seems to work well enough, but I think Im currently at the bare minimum for gph and Im wanting to add some mollies.

I keep seeing the Fluval 405 pop up on various sites for what sounds like a reasonable price ($100-$120).
Does anybody have any feedback regarding this make and model? Im having trouble finding information or reviews on it. Its it a discontinued model?

I also see some canister filters that seem to meet my gph needs on Ebay for $50-$100, but I cant seem to determine the brand and am unable to research them.
Here is an example:
3 Stage Aquarium Canister Filter 9W UV Sterilizer 265 GPH Fresh Salt 75 Gallon | eBay

Or if I do see a brand, they are names I dont recognize like Gretch and Jebao. Is anybody familiar with these brands?

Id also be grateful for canister filter advice or suggestions in general. My current budget for one would be $150 or less, however if Im diligent with my spending I could bump that up to $300-$350 in two, maybe three months.

Thank you for your consideration :)

the Fluval 405 is an older model. I believe the 406 is the update to it.

The Rena XP (Is branded as API now) is a popular brand, I've used several, including the XP2 I'm running on my 75 gallon right now. I've also used a Marineland canister that I liked. I've heard nice things about Eheim brands as well, but I've never personally used one.

I got a fluval 306 and it does a tremendous job. Granted its only filtering 20+ gallons, but depending on your bio load it should be good enough for you as well, or go with the 406. But if you find a 405 cheap that's also good, the only difference between the 405 and 406 is the 406 uses less power and has higher flow.

the Fluval 405 is an older model. I believe the 406 is the update to it.

The Rena XP (Is branded as API now) is a popular brand, I've used several, including the XP2 I'm running on my 75 gallon right now. I've also used a Marineland canister that I liked. I've heard nice things about Eheim brands as well, but I've never personally used one.

+1 on the filstar I have the medium one for tanks up to 75g on my 20 and the water is always crystal clear like it looks like my fish are floating in ocean air.

I run Rena Filstar's exclusively. I have 9 of them running at present. Some are 10 yrs. old with no problems ever. They are super easy to service, and you don't have to prime them when restarting. Lots of media capacity. I used to use Fluvals. NEVER again:nono:

The eBay filters are sunsun, I have the HW-304B, and I love it, I was looking at a 406 for $160 and I wanted a UV sterilizer which was another $40, I decided to go with the sunsun for $100 and its got UV built in, has a ton of filtering capacity and is dead silent, and as a bonus it came w/ a 2' spray bar that would be an add on with a fluval

The eBay filters are sunsun, I have the HW-304B, and I love it, I was looking at a 406 for $160 and I wanted a UV sterilizer which was another $40, I decided to go with the sunsun for $100 and its got UV built in, has a ton of filtering capacity and is dead silent, and as a bonus it came w/ a 2' spray bar that would be an add on with a fluval

+1 on the sunsun

And its rates at 525 gph

I cant say much on what brands but make sure you can get the first stage mechanical filter out to clean it easy. I would clean mine alot more if I could just pop it out real easy without moving any other media.

Back
Top Bottom