Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would love to get a canister filter for my new 40, but if I only use a canister filter will there be enough surface agitation? I don't think they will stir up the water very much.

George9 said:
I would love to get a canister filter for my new 40, but if I only use a canister filter will there be enough surface agitation? I don't think they will stir up the water very much.

Also, does anyone know if the Fluval canister filters come with media? I know for sure that marineland filters do.

I don't know about other canisters but I use API NEXX filters and depending on how much you crank it up you can get an enormous amount of water flow.

I use a Rena xp4 canister. Does outstanding job at keeping my 72 gal aquarium clean however not good enough for surface agitation. I use one of those circulation pumps that suctions to the inside of the aquarium glass. I have it just below the surface pointed straight across the tank and it does a great job creating mini waves at the surface.

Also, does anyone know if the Fluval canister filters come with media? I know for sure that marineland filters do.

For a 40 Gal I'd look at a Fluval 305, I do believe it comes with media like biomax, carbon and foam pads. to get surface agitation clip the output nozzle close to the surface and tilt slightly upward. With the force the water comes out ... you should have no problem agitating the surface.

If I may ... I highly recommend you get 100% poly-fill from a local arts / crafts store and stuff it in the bottom tray of a 305. It works wonders in collecting the micro debris the foam pads can't. A 20oz bag for $7 will last you months.
The other two trays you can do ceramic media like Biomax.

They both come with media, but I wouldn't use what either gives you as media. Marineland's are worse (non-porous biomedia AND bioballs for submerged use, really?).

I would definitely go with Fluval. You can get a lot of surface agitation or none depending on how you setup the output. The 305 would be fine, but for the small price different it is probably worth stepping up to the 405.

For aeration I recommend running air stones in ANY freshwater tank, so the possible lack of surface agitation with a canister shouldn't be an issue.

Fishguy2727 said:
They both come with media, but I wouldn't use what either gives you as media. Marineland's are worse (non-porous biomedia AND bioballs for submerged use, really?).

I would definitely go with Fluval. You can get a lot of surface agitation or none depending on how you setup the output. The 305 would be fine, but for the small price different it is probably worth stepping up to the 405.

For aeration I recommend running air stones in ANY freshwater tank, so the possible lack of surface agitation with a canister shouldn't be an issue.

I thought the flual would be a better choice.

jcolon said:
For a 40 Gal I'd look at a Fluval 305, I do believe it comes with media like biomax, carbon and foam pads. to get surface agitation clip the output nozzle close to the surface and tilt slightly upward. With the force the water comes out ... you should have no problem agitating the surface.

If I may ... I highly recommend you get 100% poly-fill from a local arts / crafts store and stuff it in the bottom tray of a 305. It works wonders in collecting the micro debris the foam pads can't. A 20oz bag for $7 will last you months.
The other two trays you can do ceramic media like Biomax.
You read my mind! I was laying in bed last night and this is EXACTLY what I thought. I'm definitely going with the polyfill at the bottom.

I thought the flual would be a better choice.

You read my mind! I was laying in bed last night and this is EXACTLY what I thought. I'm definitely going with the polyfill at the bottom.

It definitely works wonders for giving the water that extra polish!(y)

Back
Top Bottom