Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Brand new Rena xp2 is going back todayafter troubleshooting with tech support last week. I read bunch of favorable reviews, but the thing greeted me with major leak . IMHO the design should be as such thqt if the clips locked no gasket misplacement should be possible. And if I by stupidity I put it on wrong or wobbly design should make it so clips couldn't be locked .

Replaced by 306. Noise is minimal, the design looks though out. And priming handle was a very nice touch

125 Gallon , 55 Gal FW Community
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post

It's call supporting your local shops if we all buy from the net we will lose all of our local shops

If you go into your local store and buy from them all the time and get on with them well they may come down on price a bit for you

I would pay $30-50 more in a shop for peace of mind it will probably cost you more than that if you need to ship it back

I buy all my food and dry goods online but why take the risk with things like heaters and filters
I'm sorry but if I can get a better deal locally on a big ticket item then I will do so. LFS are WAY overpriced when it comes to big equipment like canisters and aquariums etc. I buy my fish, food, and bio media locally that's it. I understand what your saying but it's "called" buying smart. Why get a used filter go to waste? Many people who deal high end aquatic merchandise on craigslist are good people and aren't trying to rip you off. I can tell just through simple text or email conversation if they are legit. The worst that has gone wrong for me is needing an Impellar shaft and a gasket that's it. I'm aware you have large tanks so yeah I'd buy new also. But for most of us buying local is easier, cheaper, and leaves room for more expenditures.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
Brand new Rena xp2 is going back todayafter troubleshooting with tech support last week. I read bunch of favorable reviews, but the thing greeted me with major leak . IMHO the design should be as such thqt if the clips locked no gasket misplacement should be possible. And if I by stupidity I put it on wrong or wobbly design should make it so clips couldn't be locked .

Replaced by 306. Noise is minimal, the design looks though out. And priming handle was a very nice touch
The Rena's are prone to leakage and such but it can be easily replaced. It's really a shame because problem free they are excellent. I think the O rings that come with the filter are of worse quality than the maintenance packs you can buy. Something API should look into because they are losing sales.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Wow...in that case, I'd go with the fluval then. Just get some vinyl tubing from home depot if you want to install an inline diffuser.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never had a problem with any of my Rena XP 's. I have 5 or 6 running at the moment. Any company will produce a dud on occasion, but in this case it is the exception rather than the rule.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just got a fluval 306 for a 2nd canister on my 140g tank. My other canister is a pennplax cascade 1500. They both work very well and are both quiet. Where the fluval wins hands down is when you prime them. The fluval takes all of a few seconds the cascade is a pain and takes forever. Both have valves to close so you dont lose prime for cleaning but the fluval has a better design. Both work well but if I even need another I will get a fluval. I read good things about eheim canisters and if your on a budget sunsun. Ive never tried them put a lot of people seem to like them also. Lots of options that work well. mostly seems to be personal preference on which is better.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Priming the Cascade is awful, I completely agree!
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

After having my Fluval 406 for a year or so I would recommend it. Even if it means having to swap hoses. I run an inline heater and replaced the return side with vinyl hose at home depot, I also added a couple hose clamps just to be sure. Regardless, the <$10 to "fix" that issue left me with a very reliable and quiet (can't hear from 3 feet away) filter.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
After having my Fluval 406 for a year or so I would recommend it. Even if it means having to swap hoses. I run an inline heater and replaced the return side with vinyl hose at home depot, I also added a couple hose clamps just to be sure. Regardless, the <$10 to "fix" that issue left me with a very reliable and quiet (can't hear from 3 feet away) filter.
I have the 306 using the stock hoses. However, the 106 I replaced the hoses with clear vinyl because I use lily pipes. Just curious what you're using on the end of the return hose? I'm just wondering if the return nozzle fits on the vinyl hose or if you're using something else (i.e. spray bar).
Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Ah, yes.. a DIY spray bar. I can't remember the thread but when doing my research I came across another outflow nozzle that would work with the 3/4 vinyl. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com