Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Canister filter

I know I am opening up an old can of worms here... So I am going to upgrade to a canister filter this week. But past the fact that I know that they are good, I don't know a thing about them I don't know brands or which media is best to put in them. I decided to do this because I am supposed to be able to hook it up to a pressurized co2 system for the best dilution into the water. I am sure some of you know what I am talking about even if I am still working on the learning curve! Here is what I have and what I want to have.
37g tall planted and I would like to move the water 7-8x an hour what filter would be best for me?

Old 09-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Rena XPs and Fluvals have been very reliable. I recommend either brand.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
My Rena XPs and Fluvals have been very reliable. I recommend either brand.
Same here. My 304 keep my 40 breeder crystal clear but I would prefer to have my XP4 on that tank, extra biomedia and more turnover
Old 09-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Although I love my fluval canister filters and I recommend them the highest, the stock ribbed hosing would need to be replaced in order to use an inline diffuser. I never had a Rena XP but from the reviews, recommendations, and what appears to be the right hosing for inline equipment, I'd go with that.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have both fluval and Rena's and am running a diy co2 reactor on my 26 planted bowfront, my personal preference is for the Rena's, more media capacity and easier maintenance IMO
Old 09-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #6

Different people like different brands

The best thing to do is buy from your local fish store yes they maybe a little more expensive than if you buy it online but if you have any problems it's much more simple to take it into the store sort it out then get it fixed on the spot

If you buy online and have a problem you will need to ship it back then wait for them to ship you a new one which can take a week so a week you will be without a filter which isn't good
Old 09-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post
Different people like different brands

The best thing to do is buy from your local fish store yes they maybe a little more expensive than if you buy it online but if you have any problems it's much more simple to take it into the store sort it out then get it fixed on the spot

If you buy online and have a problem you will need to ship it back then wait for them to ship you a new one which can take a week so a week you will be without a filter which isn't good
I have bought all of my filters locally on craigslist. Ive only replaced simple things on them and even doing that didn't come close to the price of a new filter. Up to you but plenty of use have had success that way. Someone is selling a 306 on here you should make them an offer
Old 09-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post

I have bought all of my filters locally on craigslist. Ive only replaced simple things on them and even doing that didn't come close to the price of a new filter. Up to you but plenty of use have had success that way. Someone is selling a 306 on here you should make them an offer
Yeah CL pretty good I got my last xp3 for $40
Old 09-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post

It's call supporting your local shops if we all buy from the net we will lose all of our local shops

If you go into your local store and buy from them all the time and get on with them well they may come down on price a bit for you

I would pay $30-50 more in a shop for peace of mind it will probably cost you more than that if you need to ship it back

I buy all my food and dry goods online but why take the risk with things like heaters and filters
Old 09-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Although I'm a big advocate for supporting your LFS when you can, sometimes it can get tricky if you're not happy with something you bought or if it breaks down on you. If you choose to buy locally (which is great), just make sure to fully understand their return/exchange policy. I I've seen on numerous occasions that some of these LFS won't take a return and if there's an issue, they'll leave it up to you to deal with the manufacturer's warranty or something. That's why, personally, I choose to buy livestock, plants, layout material, and miscellaneous aquarium stuff from the LFS. I leave the big equipment like filters, heaters, and lights from online retailers or big box stores that I know I won't get screwed. I had a couple issues in the past and both Amazon and Dr. Fosters got me replacements at no extra cost to me. They'd pay for shipping the return..plus gave me credit for my inconvenience.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com