Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will be running a canister filter for the first time in the very near future and was just wondering whether the maintenance is the same. Ie clean media on a weekly basis etc.

Can anyone also tell me what is best for cleaning dried on algae of the glass obviously without using soap. What do you use to buff/clean and empty tank?

With canister filters maintenance is more like monthly depending on the load your tank puts on it, as for cleaning a crusty tank distilled vinegar and elbow grease usually does the trick, just rinse it well with hot water afterwards

I will be running a canister filter for the first time in the very near future and was just wondering whether the maintenance is the same. Ie clean media on a weekly basis etc.

Can anyone also tell me what is best for cleaning dried on algae of the glass obviously without using soap. What do you use to buff/clean and empty tank?

I clean mine every 4 months I would say or when the outlet flow rate drops significantly. Maintenance is similar when I do it just more of it :( Otherwise they just sit and hum away. I've seen the newer canister filters have a pre-filter but not sure what's involved with these (not enough cash to buy one).

Some people will tell you to clean (just the mechanical filter pads) on a canister monthly, some will tell you to let a canister go 6 months between cleanings.

Basically, the longer you let the filter go without cleaning, the more likely it is to become a nitrate factory. Obviously you can mitigate those nitrates with frequent water changes.

What I would suggest is cleaning the mechanical filter pads about once every month or so, but not the biomedia. There's no need to clean the biomedia unless it gets gunked up. And even when you do rinse the biomedia, only rinse like 1/4 or 1/3 of it at a time, gently in tank water.

I like the Eheim 22XX (2213/15/17) filters. They're very simply designed and straightforward. You run ceramic rings, a blue filter pad, biomedia, and another blue filter pad. The ceramic rings trap large waste particles, the first filter pad traps smaller waste particles, then there's the biomedia, then another filter pad. You don't need to rinse that last filter pad often or at all in some cases.

In the 22XX filters you'd want to rinse the ceramic rings when you rinsed the first blue filter pad, as they both collect waste. But you'd leave the biomedia alone.

If you want a filter that's slightly more user friendly (because it uses individual media baskets) look at the Rena XP series canisters. I don't like those as much though.

Thanks for all responses. I got a juwel vision 180 + cabinet, fluval 205 canister filter, thermostat, gravel and lots of rocks etc. the canister still contains water but it's been sitting for 2 days now with no flow or food. All biomedia is still wet but I don't think the bacteria will be happy if it's still alive. I bought the lot for £160 but there are a few nasty scratches made to look worse by the algae that's grown in them. I'm hoping they won't show when the water is in but what do you want for £160? the guy I bought it off says the filter is worth £100. It was his 10 year old sons and I'm guessing some gravel has got trapped between the magnets when cleaning that's caused the scratches. I'm just more happy that my fish will have a bigger home now.

Honestly I depends on how bad the tank is, I have in the past had to gently use a scotchbrite pot scrubber pad on some old used tanks with no ill effect, the vinegar also helps dissolve mineral buildup. I usually lay the tank down on the side that needs cleaning pour in the vinegar and let it sit for a while, the acidity of the vinegar does a lot of the work for you. If it's just algae then after a good 15 minutes of soaking I would think it should just wipe away with a paper towel or a cheap washcloth

Btw what type of cloth do you use with the distilled vinegar?

Anything really. Anything you would normally use to clean glass. Not steel wool, obviously.

How many US Gallons is the tank you just bought? If you don't know how many inches or cm long wide and tall is it?

I have a feeling a Fluval 205 is going to be too small a filter if that tank is as big as I think it is.

It's 36 inch long 26.5 high and 15.5 depth. It's a bow front but calculated rightly 38 US gallon.

I would use a razor blade on glass. It would work better at removal than any else. Scotch brite and definitely steel wool will scratch you glass. I have found that the cheapo plastic scrub pads and toothbrush work great on me canister and wont scatch the surface. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom