Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got an Eheim canister filter for my new 70g FW tank...

Does this have to be placed a certain distance under the tank?

Can it just be sat at the side of the tank, or can the bottom of the filter even be a couple of inches higher than the bottom of the tank? I'm really limited for space...

Im pretty sure all canister filters need to be plaved about 20 inches under. I think the top of the canister has to be 20 inces below the top of the water. I burnt out a Jebo canister becuase I didnt know it had to be below water level.

I didn't know that! What happens to them if they're too high then?

It does say in the Eheim manual it should be x inches below the tank, but I'm just trying to figure out if it will actually make a difference or damage anything if it's at the side of the tank?

Yeah...I just seriously don't have room for it (I used it on my old SW tank) to be under the tank, and don't want an undergravel, internal or HOB filter.

pretty sure if they aren't placed at recommended height you run the risk of burning out the moter/impeller. The pump is only designed to puch the water back up to the tank not draw it out, gravity takes care of that.

Back
Top Bottom