Canister filter behind the 3D background - best efficiency?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piotrec

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking for an advise how to install a canister filter behind the Aquaterra "Rainforest" 3D background to achieve a best efficiency?
This is my tank size: 48''x20''x12'' 55G
The background is 48''x20'' and 4'' wide in the largest point.
I have not decide yet what filter but I am considering Rena xp3 or Maryland C-360.

My question is how many holes should I drill and what are the best spots for them?
Do I need any extra equipment?
Maybe there is an other way (not necessery a canister filter) I can not think of?

As most cannister filters sit on the floor, the only placement should be the input and the output hoses. Once you decide on the filter, it should be quite easy to instal. Does the 3D background have a top or is it open between it and the tank?

FWIW I prefer the Rena XP3 myself. Very easy to use filter.

The background does not have a top. Here is the picture from the Aquaterra website

big_rainforest_5.jpg

To precise my question. I am wondering what to do to move the water from the front side of the background to behind the background. I want to install the intake and outtake hose on the back of the aquarium behind the background.

Think of it like you're setting up an overflow box the way saltwater tanks do it. You'll need to trim out some of that background near the top to create some kind of teeth to allow water to flow over the top and to try to keep fish and things inside the tank. Then you can set everything up in the gap.

How large is the gap between the back wall of teh tank and the back wall of the background? Make sure you leave yourself enough room to get a hand in there for cleaning, or other things that may come up.

Man I cant imagine having that in my 55G, yeah it looks nice, but the tank is only 12" wide and this thing is 4" wide so your left with a 4ft long tank thats only 8" wide. I couldnt do it.

I have not use anything like this before, so these are my theoretical musings!

You need to worry about how much room you have in front & behind the background. As Speed said, this setup is prob better used in a deeper tank (like a 75).

If you put both intake & output behind the background, you wouldn't have a lot of circulation between the front & back. <Or almost none in the the front.>

I am thinking of this setup as a sump (except that the sump is inside the tank). In that case, you would want your intake behind the background, and the output in front. < You can hide most of the output hose behind the background, but arrange it so the water is running into the front. > you would need to have an opening to allow water to move from the front to the back & from there to your filter. you can cut slots on top, or possibly some kind of underwater hole with a screen. The size of the opening is determined by your pump flow rate. A total area of 2-3 square inches for all your holes/slots should be enough. <4 happens to be the recommended slot area for my overflow at 750 gph ... the XP3 runs less than that, so you should be safe.> You can of course have more holes/slots than is needed ... in case some gets plugged up between cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom