canister filter, best bang for your $?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best bang for your buck on a canister filter for an overstocked 75gal mbuna tank?

I have 2 emperor 400's on it right now. Im raising fry so I want to use the 400's on my 29gal and 40b. Instead of buying new filters for them, I figured I would upgrade my show tank. I want an fx5 but its a bit out if my price range at the moment. Thanks!

Wow, it is hard to go wrong there. Thank you jetta! Im going to order one tonight probably. I will report back after. Am I going to need to buy anything to go with it? I am a canister noob.

I'd buy two and you'd be set! That would give you roughly 10-12 times your total volume turn over per hour and keep your tank super clean.

Mogurako said:
I'd buy two and you'd be set! That would give you roughly 10-12 times your total volume turn over per hour and keep your tank super clean.

I like you're thinking! I will have to stager them between paychecks though.

Check your local petsmart. They've been selling the rena XP series at ridiculously low prices lately. I have seen several people buying them for about $40.

Please post a review after you have it set up. I've been thinking of the CFS500 or the HW302 for my 55 gallon. One thing I've heard about the CFS500 is the O-rings used for the in & out ports are too thick and make it hard to adjust the flow. Some people have replaced them with Danco #17 O-ring pn 96734 from Home Depot to avoid forcing them.

Slade said:
Please post a review after you have it set up. I've been thinking of the CFS500 or the HW302 for my 55 gallon. One thing I've heard about the CFS500 is the O-rings used for the in & out ports are too thick and make it hard to adjust the flow. Some people have replaced them with Danco #17 O-ring pn 96734 from Home Depot to avoid forcing them.

Cool thanx for the tip. Im going to read reviews on the cfs500 and the sunsun 304 tomorrow. I read a bit tonight that has me wanting to look into it more before I order. Im also gonna call petsmart to see if they have any of the Rena's around. I will keep you guys posted and def review whichever I decide to go with. Even if the cfs500 only lasts a year, at $60, that's only $5 a month (less than I used to pay for world of warcraft lol). I just don't want to come home one day to ruined carpet.

looks like if i get new o rings and hoses for the cfs 500 i will be good to go. Everyone think its a solid choice? Some reviews people say they will never own anything else. Others say they would never own one again. I think it will be worth finding out first hand. I will buy a sunsun if this one gives me troubles. I can buy one and a half cfs500 for one sunsun 304. im ordering tonight so any last words would be appreciated. lol

So I decided to hold off and am buying a sunsun 304b. Do I need a uv sterilizer for $10 more?

Back
Top Bottom