Canister filter flow rate for a 76 gallon tank planned for Discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khoyme

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Getting back into the hobby after about 15 busy years away (the nest is empty, to it is time to get back into some old hobbies). I am lusting after a nice tank featuring Discus. We are looking at the 76 gallon 1/2 round from Oceanic.

The store with this tank on the floor recommended a Marineland C-530 for this application - 530 GPH is a 7x turnover rate. I have been also looking at the Fluval Fx5 (607 GPH), Eheim 2075 (290 GPH) and Rena Filstar XP3.

I have read various threads on various sites on the pros and cons of the various brands. I am leaning towards either the Eheim or the Rena ($220 versus $135) but am wondering if a 4-5x turnover is adequate for Discus??

I see all sorts of recommendations from 4x to 10x. I am interested in recommendations for what flow rate is right for such a setup. Also, I plan to make it a planted tank - probably very planted (may take the CO2 plunge as well).

Thoughts?

TIA,
Ken

You want 5-10x turn over for a freshwater tank. I suggest about 5-7 for a discus tank. They don't like ripraff to much.

Welcome back to the hobby.

I suggest the Fluval though, good brand and you can always just throttle it back to get the right gph.

And discus also require near immaculate water so I would try to aim higher than 4-5. 6 or 7 is preferable I would say.

Welcome to AA and back to the hobby! :)

On a cost basis, I would probably opt for an XP3/4 and an additional HOB. Fluval and Eheim both are good filters though.

A lot will depend on what size discus you purchase. Growing them out really requires a different set up than adults.

Thanks for the info. I thought I would find many choice of canister filters that would serve the needs of a 76 gallon tank, as that is not huge by any means. For 5x, I could chose the Marineland C-360 or C-530, Fluval Fx5, Eheim Pro 3e 2076 or Rena XP3 or XP4. At 7x, it is only the C-530 or Fx5 that can do it in a single unit.

It would seem that going to dual filters would be the only way folks could get this much flow. For affordability, I am thinking dual XP3s might be the way to go (that would give me 700GPH - about 9x) - dual XP3s would be enough, but there are only 2 trays in them, vs 3 in the XP3s -- would like the flexibility of 3 trays.

There would be some advantages to a dual setup - alternate cleaning, to ensure good stability of the biological filtration - redundancy in case one fails - and a logical setup for dual in-line heaters.

Ken

A lot will depend on what size discus you purchase. Growing them out really requires a different set up than adults.
Say more -- I have read much on the differences for breeding discus (not in my immediate plans) but not about differences between raising younger fish versus adults.

But then I am still in a massive web and book reading mode right now. :D That is part of hobbies that I enjoy much - reading and learning.

Ken

Juvenile discus need cleaner water conditions and more frequent feedings. That means more maintenance, bare bottom, and/or automated. Discus are prone to stunting if not properly housed. I'm by far no expert on them.... search the web, there's a ton of info out there. There are also a lot of local discus clubs throughout the country.

Back
Top Bottom