Canister Filter for 20 Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I might be getting a 20 Gal tank. Are there any canister filters that would work on a 20 gal tank that wouldn't totally overpower the tank? I would love to be able to do a canister instead of a HOB.

i run a hot magnum on my 20 i know it is stil a kinda HOB canister hybrid, but i love it. anyway if u want a true canister might look into a magnum 220

Ok. Thanks I will take a look at the 220. I am definately looking for a "true" canister so I am not really interested in the HOT Magnum.

What about the the lower end of the other filters out there such as Filstar XP1, Fluval 104, or Eheim 2213? Does anyone think these would work or just be too much current in a little tank?

I also saw this one:Hydor Prime 10. I have not heard anything about it or seen in mentioned anywhere so I am a little leary. If anyone has any information about it please pass it along.

I have an XP1 for the 22 gallon that I've got...I'll likely be setting it up next week some time, so unfortunately I don't have any experience with it yet, but I'll certainly let you know!

i love my Eheim 2213 ... awesome filter! Best one i have used so far with the HOT magnum pro in a close second!

Sara - Thanks but I might buy something before then. I am anxious to get the 20 set up while I have the SAF (spousal approval factor) going for me.
penpitt - I had read somewhere that the ecco's didn't live up to Eheim standards (mainly noise & quality) and that people who previously owned other Eheim filters didn't particularly care for them. This was the main reason I did not list them earlier. It sounds like you are happy with yours so maybe I will take a look at these closer.
SerLunchbox - Do you think the 2213 would be too much on a 20 gal?

Thanks all.

Greenfish: no. Point the spray bar TOWARDS the wall and it greatly reduces the amount of water pressure geing passed. Look at my filters on the 50 gallon. I am turning my tank over 8-10 times every hour ... my rule of thumb is that you can never have enough filteration.

SerLunchbox said:
Greenfish: no. Point the spray bar TOWARDS the wall and it greatly reduces the amount of water pressure geing passed. Look at my filters on the 50 gallon. I am turning my tank over 8-10 times every hour ... my rule of thumb is that you can never have enough filteration.

Thanks! (y)

Sara - Thanks but I might buy something before then. I am anxious to get the 20 set up while I have the SAF (spousal approval factor) going for me.

Well, then, I'll be looking to you for your experience if you'll be setting up before me, greenfish. Looks like you started the thread to get opinions for yourself, but you may end up finishing it by passing your experience along :D

my rule of thumb is that you can never have enough filteration.
Unless the fish look like they are in the spin cycle of a washing machine.

Aside from canisters, there are submersible filters. I have a fluval and a cascade and I like them very much. Plus the cats can't drink from the tank!!

I am running an Ecco 2234 on my 37 gal and it is woefully inadequate, with particles floating all over and the intake is not pulling them in, so it would probably work on a smaller tank. I'm going to upgrade to the 2236.

I don't think the Ecco series is as powerful as the classic series, like the 2213, but they are so much easier to maintain. I think a 2213 would be fabulous on a 20gal. I saw on the Eheim site that they now make media baskets for the classic series, so you can pull them out and arrange them, which would change my life when I go to clean my 2215. Something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom