Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2003, 02:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to pondmom Send a message via Yahoo to pondmom
Rubixcube,
what do you use in your canister for media?

5000gal + outdoor pond
125 gal FW tank
pondmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you, TankGirl :]

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:44 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Hey Gunnie - does your XP 3 have visible air at the top where the intake water comes in? Mine does and you can see some splashing right there at the top. It seems like there should be no sign of air inside the filter, but no matter what I have done there is always a bit of air. I have checked my hoses and fittings, and everything is as tight as I am able to make it. It might be normal, but I can't get a reply from the company, either by e-mail or by phone.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 04:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Tank girl.. did you try this... the tighteners that you're supposed to pinch clamp on the ends of the tubes.. did you use your fingers? I took a monkey wrencg and use that.. I got like 4 to 5 extra clicks which means it is now a lot tighter. Also where you first prime it is that tightly on? I'll look at mine to if I think of any mre and post later on.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Gunnie
Tank Girl,
I don't know right off, but I think I have seen a little bit of splashing near the top of the filter. It's really strange to me that you can't get a response. When I needed customer service, they were excellent.

Smoky Mountain Aquarium Society

Joseph H.S. Mills (AKA: Trauma Jewel) 1/18/36 - 3/1/04. I miss you dad!
Gunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 06:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to RubixCube Send a message via MSN to RubixCube
Quote:
Rubixcube,
what do you use in your canister for media?
Right now im cycling the tank. Im using tray 1 and 2 active carbon. 3 and 4 bio-max. im going to be adding some purigen soon.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:08 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Nobody asked me, but I don't use any carbon, unless I need to remove medication. I like to use the ceramic noodles, bioballs and floss, with sponges if they are handy.

Electrobes - I did use my fingers to tighten those clamps, so I will get a few more clicks with a wrench. I notice that those can slip off sideways, also, so they may not be the best fastener. It took a week and a half (no, I would not exaggerate in a MILLION years) to get the hoses on the fittings in the first place because they were so tight, so I might not have gotten the clamps as tight as is necessary.

Gunnie - I will try to contact them again, but I sent them an e-mail from the help section of their site, and I called them and left a message with their help desk, and did not hear anything. I am pretty sure all they will tell me is to make sure everything is tight, though, which really is the only way air can get in after all. It may not even be hurting anything, as the filter seems to perform well. I would definitely buy one again (probably will, at the rate my tank collection is growing). The XP2 would be nice for that 46-gal bow at Walmart. I saw a similar tank and stand at PetsMart today for almost twice the price.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:04 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Nobody asked me, but I don't use any carbon, unless I need to remove medication. I like to use the ceramic noodles, bioballs and floss, with sponges if they are handy.

Bioballs in a canister filter? What purpose do they serve
Old 11-23-2003, 10:20 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
What purpose do they serve
Anything with surface area will provide biofiltration, just like the noodles. The more the merrier! The filter can accommodate quite a bit of media.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh yes, i know, what it was thinking was that the bio-balls work better in a wet/dry filter. Plus there is no light source in the canister (not sure if this makes a difference, but i think it does)

Tags
90 gallon, canister, canister filter, filter, fresh, fresh water, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com