Canister filter guidance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thepokerkid227

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking for a decent canister filter that I can use on a 20g long tank and then be used on a 40b once I upgrade to a bigger size down the road. Any suggestions?

Joe

Most recommend cannister filters for 40+ tanks, though I have had good success with Aquaclear 110. Quiet, easy to maintain, and 500 gph. I am ordering an Eheim Classic 2217 for my 55 and will be glad to share how that goes when it is set up.

I have an Eheim 2215 on my 65 (which is 36" long, 18" wide, and 25" tall). The spray bar moves the entire surface. It might be too much movement in a 20-40 unless you choose fish that like current... but then they make a step down for tanks up to 65 that might be just fine. I like that it's a simple but effective design that remains unchanged so parts will be easy to come by when anything needs replaced.

There are mini canisters now for even nano tanks so if you want a hidden filter, you can have it on just about any size tank. But, I'd buy with the bigger tank in mind and just have a bit of overkill on the 20.

Then, I see two good options. Are you likely to keep the 20 as a second tank when you get the next one? If not, get a canister and know it's overkill now but will suit your next tank. If you are likely to keep the 20, get an HOB with a biowheel and know that it will be super easy to move to the new tank and then just as easy to resume use of the old one later.

See, my little tank has a biowheel filter. I moved the fish to their big, new home and stuck that biowheel down in the bio filter media on the 2215. Voila, instant cycle. I'm now adding fish a few at a time, no problem, no ammonia. Once I have the big tank fully stocked, I intend to restart the little tank as either a planted betta habitat or a shrimp tank. Not decided yet. But, all I have to do is get the biowheel back out of the filter and the little tank is ready to stock.

Once I switch the 20g to the 40, the 20 will be getting turned into a plant only tank to grow in

Got a deal on a marineland c360 for $60 all baskets and media on CL, can't go wrong

Back
Top Bottom