Canister filter help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mysticalkitten

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just spent two hours putting together my canister filter. One the book how to put it together does not help at all! So finely got it done. I had the bio balls and rocks on the bottom, charcoal on the next try and because I was told here some round scrubby balls and then toping it off the white filter pads. I had to manhandle the green hose on to the pipes. My problem is after adding that spray bar it won't fit snug to the glass seems the elbow is too long, next there does not seem like there is a lot of water spraying out here I thought I would have to worry about blasting the fish. And I filled the filter with water closed it up and turned it on I had to pump it a couple of times and than it started to work I saw the water through the lines. Now I see every once in a while there's air in the hose and you see it blow out the spray bar. I thought after an hour of running all the air would be out buy now, is this normal? Could it be that the bio balls don't have a white filter pad toping them off like the other two? Should I worry about air in the hose?? Sorry about all this I know nothing about this filer :thanks:

Nope it's completely normal and if anything helps oxygenate the water, if you want to get rid of the bubbles just lightly tip the filter over very little to shake some of the bubbles out!

I can't remember what kind you have. But my marineland 360 canister has the white pad on top but mine blows out small little bubbles like the air stones sometimes. As long as they are not big bubbles like when you start it up.

the filter material order should be 1 - mechanical to remove any debris 2- biological to convert toxic chemicals to less toxic 3- chemical to remove chemicals that are not biological in nature
having air in the filter after media change or when new is most probably some air pockets or air bubbles trapped in the floss or sponges. NOthing to worry about. what make and model is your filter?

Sunsuns flow from the bottom of the canister up to the top to pump out. Sponges should be on the bottom for mechanical waste trapping. This video is for a 4 tray model. I have a 3 tray one and I have sponges in the bottom tray only.

https://youtu.be/Hg6ijo5pq_M

After assembly and running if the tip the canister slightly all the way around it helps get the air bubbles out faster.

I have a sun sun and every thing about putting it together was grrr lol..even the pipe that hangs off the tank we had to use a zip cord to keep the pipe from slipping off once it was in the water and the spray bar ugg had to fight with it too. It's not flushed against the glass it sticks out some so I'm thinking of just getting rid of it and just having a open hole were I get more water flow. About the filters pads so many viedos later some say One on every tray some say the bio on the bottom. Now that it's running looks like I have to change it.

Back
Top Bottom