Canister Filter Hiccups and burps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I have a new Fluval 305 canister filter that occasionally hiccups or burps in that it blasts out a cloud a very tiny bubbles. The whole tank fills with micro bubbles from this thing. It seems to do it about 4-5times a day.

Any ideas what this is and how to stop it?

Thanks,
Matt

My fluval 404 did this when I first set it up because of trapped air inside of the bio rings. I took it completely apart, rinsed everything good, filled the filter up almost all the way from the tap (with conditioned water), and the problem stopped.

Or if you have a c02 diffuser or airstone that is nearby letting bubbles into the intake. Or if you have a leak on the suction side of the plumbing/hosing. If you have a small hole in a line it will not leak water but rather suck air.

Depends on how new the filter setup is too. Usually when I change my filter I take out about 3 gallons of tank water to rinse everything in, then once cleaned will use another 3 gallons in a bucket and run the filter in there to get it going again (less hassle than getting it primed in the actual tank). When I do that I gently rock the filter on the ground a few times and it dislodges any trapped air.

Keep in mind that a lot of biological processes that occur in the filter do produce gas and it can accumulate and occasionally let out a blast of microbubbles. 4-5 times a day seems too frequently though, so I'd check for how air is getting into the system (either bubbles or leak in the line as mentioned).

My canister does the same thing. I have the Marineland C-360. After I do a PWC I'll shake the filter gently and a ton of air bubbles come out. I still get the "burps" you mention every now and then, but they are far less frequent and less intense than before I gave it a regular shake.

From what I can tell, unless you have a hole in your intake line, it's not a big deal. Just a little air getting released.

dont fill it with tap water, conditioned or not, but what i do is when i clean mine, i open the valve on the hose and fill the filter up almost to the top, then i put the top back on, open the valve, pump it a couple times to make sure there is no air in it, then i turn it on... never had that problem since i started filling it up with tank water...

Back
Top Bottom