Canister Filter I would like to see Fluval Make...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Wouldn't it be great if a canister filter maker could build a model with a built in UV and built in heater all in the same canister? I think there would be a real market for it among serious aquarists. It could also have a digital readout that displays filter media life left, UV hours left, and water temp.

Hagen, get on it!!!

sounds great..
I can see a problem with it.. UV is works better with slower water flows than a canister needs.. unless the bulb was oversized for the tank.. this would make it expensive..
:D

greenmagi said:
sounds great..
I can see a problem with it.. UV is works better with slower water flows than a canister needs.. unless the bulb was oversized for the tank.. this would make it expensive..
:D

Thats not a problem, you just have to match the UV to the gph of the canister, just like you would have to do if you bought them separatly. Also, If the UV was inside the canister, it would greatly increase the dwell time.

I was thinking of killing parasites with the uv.. if your just wanting control algae then I guess it wouldnt make much difference.

Even killing parasites its just all a matter of dwell time and wattage. The dwell time with this design would be high, so the wattage could be relatively low (at least lower than with an external UV). Plus, you could always lower the gph to really max out the dwell time for a parasite problem anyway.

Goto www.petsolutions.com and check out the Ocean Clear canister filters.
They have one with a built in uv and it works great. It's what I run on my 180 gallon oscar tank.

Also check out the Lifeguard systems they have built in heater and uv modules.

now he says something about it I think Ocean Clear makes canisters that do one or the other and you can hook them up in series.. the things are built like tanks at that.. you would just need to have a external pump for them though...
Im guessing Im just not able to see this dwell time you speaking of.. you must be right or Ocean Clear wouldnt be doing it...

Can someone post a link to one with a UV and a heater? Thanks.

I dont think there is a uv and heater in a single unit.. sorry.. if you like I could give you links to units that work together... :D

rainbow lifeguard and ocean clear systems have both just not in the same unit.. I guess the rainbow lifeguard system kind of looks like one unit when it is all put together.. they are nice.. :D

I alreay have my tank all set up so there is no way I'm shelling out $300 for more equipment. But its too bad, I would have got one before I invested in everything seperatly, I like things to be compact and simple like those all-in-ones you guys are talking about. Even just the filter and UV would be cool. Oh well, next tank :D

Im guessing you found them..LOL.. they are a little on the expensive side.. but a all in one unit sounds good in theroy but Im guessing that it wouldnt sell very well.. :(

Putting a UV in a canister would also require very heavy shielding to keep the UV from affecting the biological bed in the filter media. Eheim has canisters with built-in heat and thermostats, etc.

Back
Top Bottom