Canister filter intake and spraybar location?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ordered a sunsun 302 for my 20 long. If I put he spray bar at one end spraying the length of the tank do I want the input the same side as the spraybar or do I want them on opposite sides of the tank

I usually put them on opposite sides to creat flow through the whole tank.

I usually put them on opposite sides to creat flow through the whole tank.

+1 I set all my canisters up like this also keeping the length of the intake as close to the bottom as possible.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Depends.

I put the intake slightly behind the spray bar on the same side. The water moves across the surface from the spray bar, then dives to the bottom and returns down low to the intake.

If you put them at opposite ends there's very little flow at the bottom of the tank. Now that may be good if you have stock that can't deal with flow, but if you want tank-wide circulation I think same end is better.

I've seen fluid dynamic models that show them being in the same corner produces the best circulation. I'll find it later.

I run 2 canisters on my 4+ foot tanks with each
Filters intake and spraybar in their respective corners. The only area where there isn't good flow is in the very center middle of the tank.

This is exactly why I asked. Seems like having them on opposite sides of the tank you would be shooting your water straight back to the filter intake creating a large under circulated space under the spray bar

I've seen fluid dynamic models that show them being in the same corner produces the best circulation. I'll find it later. I run 2 canisters on my 4+ foot tanks with each Filters intake and spraybar in their respective corners. The only area where there isn't good flow is in the very center middle of the tank.

Would love to see it if you do find it!

Back
Top Bottom